Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Does ringworm cause pain

Dessypoobear

Cavy Slave
I was wondering when a piggie has ringworm are they in pain? and what exactly is ringworm

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ringworm is caused by a fungus, very similar to the one that causes athlete's foot. True ringworm forms in a circle or ring, hence the name "ringworm." But other fungus infections are sometimes called ringworm. It's not painful.

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It may not be painful when it starts but the itching will drive anyone mad. I had it when I was 13 years old and it took forever to get rid of!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think it depends on what agent is causing it. I had it several times as a kid (it's much more common in areas that are sandy), and only once did I ever have the kind that itched.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I think it depends on what agent is causing it. I had it several times as a kid (it's much more common in areas that are sandy), and only once did I ever have the kind that itched.

I had gotten mine from a pet store rabbit. The itchiness was awful. :/ It literally took months to completely go away. Luckily, I haven't had it since!

Dessypoobear

Cavy Slave
I'm having such a hard time getting it out of my herd. I isolate one and treat him and once he is better another piggie has it. I have no idea what to do besides isolate them all and treat all of them, but I feel like that would cause them too much stress being away from each other.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I'm having such a hard time getting it out of my herd. I isolate one and treat him and once he is better another piggie has it. I have no idea what to do besides isolate them all and treat all of them, but I feel like that would cause them too much stress being away from each other.

I have no idea if they even make something that can be given orally to treat it before the ringworm starts to show.. That is something I would be asking your vet since this is an on going thing. Ringworm can be super hard to get rid of... I am sorry your herd is going through this!

EDIT: They do make shampoo that helps with fungus. Have you tried this?

Dessypoobear

Cavy Slave
I plan on calling the vet tomorrow I just didn't know if anyone else knew of anything. I did get this anti-fungal spray that worked the first time it was cleared within a week. Its just hard when I clear one pig and someone else gets it. I feel awful

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Keep them together and treat all. You also need to diligently clean all surfaces again and again. Extra washings of fleece, sanitizing the cage including cage bars. Remove all wood. Sanitize all toys and houses. I would be doing complete cleanings like this every few days, and I would continue a good two weeks after all signs of it are gone.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use a spray -- too much danger of the pig inhaling it. Monistat or Nystatin will work fine, but you have to be diligent about using it, and about checking all the pigs daily to see if there are any new lesions. See https://www.guinealynx.info/search_fungus.html for instructions on how to clean the cage and treat the pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.