Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Re: KMS Timothy + Crickets

@Kelsie I totally agree! They need to keep their booties outside
    @cavy_jdas Oh no! That is so freaky. I'm sorry about your poor experience this time around as well!
    @Artista Yeah I understand they can't pick through every bale of hay. Just stinks to have these occurrences

Last night I put latex gloves on, made a raid barrier between me and the box , and used tongs (and my boyfriend) to pry open the box. Nothing popped out right away thank God. But as my boyfriend was digging through, he shook each bundle and we put it in the 5 gallon bucket. We successfully completed that task cricket free. So I go to close the box and of course crickets start coming at me who is the scared one. How annoying!

Thanks
    Thanks
    57 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

I think Ill stick to non-bulk hay for now... I could handle crickets and mice (my cats would love to have a house of crickets to chase) but a box full of spiders would literally send me in to a panic attack.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

May as well ask another question while I'm at it! There's a tractor and supply store close by and I have been told they sell hay. That way I don't have to pay for shipping. When I buy from KMS the shipping is more than the stinking product. Have any of you bought hay from a feed store or supply store? Is it quality?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,312 Rec'd/5,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3902 Post(s)

The quality depends entirely on the growing season and where they get their hay. It may be local, it may not be. You'll just have to go look and see.

I live in south Texas, and while Tractor Supply sells hay, I wouldn't buy it for my guinea pigs. Coastal hay is very poor quality, and I'd far rather pay the shipping and get good hay than give them that crappy stuff. If you live where grass hay is grown, it's probably fine.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

@bpatters Ok! What are some things to look for besides color and softness?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,312 Rec'd/5,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3902 Post(s)

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

To be honest this is very disappointing that KMS support wont do anything regarding this issue..
    I have had almost 10+ 9lbs boxes from them before no issues, but last 3rd cut timothy had lots of weird sticks and wood stuff with mud..

Makes me wonder if I should order again or not i wont lie, my friend bought me with him 10kg of Burgess Excel Herbage Timothy Hay from london with him and my pigs hate it, and i can understand why its almost 60% brown hay things and the green leaves are tough and tasteless.. they eat about 40% of it. rest goes to the bin..

Once they are used to farms hay, they cant eat this commercial hay anymore..I guess we have no choice

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

@QtrSkill Yeah I've bought at least 4 or 5 boxes from them and have never had a problem. I've spoken to them before and they have been so helpful. But this time around they didn't seem to care. Very disappointing.

Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

I buy bales of hay for my piggies and I have never found any live insects in the hay only a few dead crickets in a whole bale of hay. Good luck with them, my Bearded Dragon, Bob would love to eat those crickets for you

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    555 Rec'd/425 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KatiesPiggies View Post
    @QtrSkill Yeah I've bought at least 4 or 5 boxes from them and have never had a problem. I've spoken to them before and they have been so helpful. But this time around they didn't seem to care. Very disappointing.
    Because they can't control what's in a bale. It's not KMS it's all bulk hay suppliers. And it doesn't make sense for them to take something back when it's something not in their control. It sucks but there's nothing they can do so don't look too much into it. KMS is a great company.

Thanks
    Thanks
    119 Rec'd/99 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

Try not to let this ruin your opinion of them. Perhaps the person on the phone had an off day. Perhaps they see enough bugs that a few extras don't seem like a big deal.

Consider also that the cost of shipping is typically quite comparable to the hay. If they ship out a replacement, everything you have paid goes directly to shipping costs for both. They still have the cost they paid for the hay on both shipments, plus labor costs, etc, and they therefore lose money. And this is a situation that could easily have resulted in a sac of bug eggs on a blade of grass, baled up inside, and they all just hatched. Icky, unfortunate, unpleasant - indeed. But no one can possibly have quality control that could prevent it. They just can't stay in business if they open themselves up to replacements that are outside of something that they can reasonably control. ...And I know my piggies really want them to stay in business

12. "Thank you, cavy_jdas, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    516 Rec'd/374 Posts
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)

I got a sample of hay from KMS and a bag of pellets last month and then about a week later I kept finding small light brown/ tan colored crickets in my house. I wonder if they came from KMS? What color are the crickets you got? I only had a small sample of hay but it was probably about 6 crickets that I found in the house, all about 1/2" - 3/4" size. I don't have a problem with crickets. Roaches would seriously, seriously freak me out.. but crickets, I can deal with. At first I thought they were roaches so when I realized they were crickets I was actually quite relieved. LOL

I am really upset with KMS at the moment. I have 2 shipments of 15 pounds of Timothy hay and both are infested with crickets. It's absolutely disgusting. I have had to completely empty my room, shake all of my clothes and bedding, and spray massive Raid bug killer (not around the pigs) to make sure there weren't any more crickets after I discarded one box. I've never had any bugs or anything come in a KMS shipment and I understand they can't control it but it just disgusts me and makes me think twice about ordering from them again.

Anyway, I have the second shipment sitting outside on my patio infested with crickets and I really don't want to open it. My pigs are desperately in need of hay though and I feel bad procrastinating.

I'm wondering what I should do. I can't tolerate bugs at all as I am terrified. I can't be near them. Is there any way at all I can get the crickets lured out of the box? I want to be able to keep hay inside as winter is approaching and it would be miserable to have to go get hay every day outside. But I don't want crickets migrating into my room. How gross.

Any advice?

I was going to just go buy pet store hay so I didn't have to deal with crickets but then the problem still exists that bugs may be lured in.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

@Traysea My crickets were actually pretty big, which is nasty. Some were smaller but a lot were bigger. They were dark brown to black in color.

Thanks
    Thanks
    57 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

@Traysea - we've had a ton of those light colored crickets in our yard lately, and my mom found some in her cellar. Luckily they're staying outside, but I don't know where they came from.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

@Artista I won't argue that. They're a great company. They produce great hay and typically have great customer service. The thing that pushed me over the edge this past time I communicated with them was the fact that they told me since no one else complained, that pretty much overrides my complaint. They don't seem to have too much trust in their customers' honesty.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

@Artista I won't argue that. They're a great company. They produce great hay and typically have great customer service. The thing that pushed me over the edge this past time I communicated with them was the fact that they told me since no one else complained, that pretty much overrides my complaint. They don't seem to have too much trust in their customers' honesty.
    You should have sent photos. I've only had a problem with boxed hay once; not from KM. One of the flakes was yellow. The rest was fine. I took photos in case they needed it and called. The asked me how much was yellow and sent me a box of hay that was more than what was yellow. Have you ever called them before with a problem? If you have, that could be the issue.

Thanks
    Thanks
    516 Rec'd/374 Posts
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)

Im with Katie on this one.

They should just replace the hay. It isn't unreasonable that like someone else posted the crickets hatched and overran her section of hay. Especially if only ONE box was a problem, that isn't going to break their bank. Retailers really have to stand by their products and provide good customer service. It's good business to keep your customer happy in the long run. I have a website and if a package went missing or there was something wrong with an item, I replace it. It isn't fair for me to profit on an order if the customer is going to suffer for it. I do have a right to tell my customer to send back the damaged product, they could have told you to send back the hay for inspection. If a customer was trying to take advantage of our customer service policy, I have the right to refuse to sell them products in the future.

With the exception of those annoying moths in my parrot seed from time to time I have never had an infestation of bugs come from any feed that I have bought. There is an expectation of quality control, especially from a company like KMS which many regard as the "top of the line" in hay quality.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

I'd have liked to have seen a photo and I think she should have sent photos to KM. A picture says a thousand words. I don't know much about crickets and I've never found a single insect in any hay I've bought in a store, online or freshly baled in the many years I've owned guinea pigs so it doesn't seem like something that would normally occur. Do crickets breed in groups and have large number of offspring? If it was a huge number, the first thing I'd have done is taken photos AND videos since they'd be jumping around. I think insects would be worse than weeds or sticks because the hay would be contaminated with droppings. If photos were sent, I can't imagine why KM wouldn't replace it. I'm curious why photos were never taken.

Thanks
    Thanks
    516 Rec'd/374 Posts
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)

Yeah, I guess not everyone thinks to grab their camera first thing. I am one of those people that use their cell phone for everything (my cell phone was in the delivery room when I had my twins!) But not everyone does I suppose.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Traysea View Post
    Yeah, I guess not everyone thinks to grab their camera first thing. I am one of those people that use their cell phone for everything (my cell phone was in the delivery room when I had my twins!) But not everyone does I suppose.
    I use my cell phone camera all the time, too. When my kids were born, though, no cameras or video cameras were allowed. I think it probably had to do with difficult deliveries and lawsuits.

User Tag List