Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Pregnant or Not? Also Limping

Chellysmelly

Cavy Slave
I am new to this site so bare with me.

I have two female pigs, Duffy my first who is about a year, and Gypsy my second and maybe over a year. Duffy and Gypsy don't get along so I keep them in separate cages. Gypsy is very friendly to humans though, could her aggression be due to the fact that she is hormonal because she may be pregnant? Duffy I got from a close friend and is perfectly healthy, Gypsy on the other hand I got from a local pet store.

I was looking to get another pig for Duffy as a friend, female only since she isn't fixed. I called a store called Pet Club and they said that they actually had two females up for adoption. However they normally don't sell pigs but these two were surpluses or rejects from their animal supplier. They took in the two pigs that were rejects, most likely rejected because they were pregnant. I have had Gypsy for about a month or so now and she has remained the same size for the most part. She eats and drinks normally unlike a pregnant pig. She doesn't like her tummy being touched but when I can it does feel like fat but also like a sack where pups could be. I am careful not to press too hard in case there are pups. She got a limp a few weeks after I got her and I called a few vets and one said it might be the babies pushing on a nerve. The limp went away after a week and is now back. She still gets around but lays down a lot but I don't know if it's because she is pregnant or because she's fat. I would assume by now she would have given birth because gestation is only 2 months depending on litter size. She also has a bald patch on her back that was there when I got her but had started growing back yet she still scratches. And when I got her she was covered in a brown saw dust like material kind of like fluffy tree bark dust. She also had over grown nails and they have curved so much it is hard for me to trim them. I assume they curved because she gain weight in a short amount of time presumably due to her being pregnant.

What I'd like to know is if she is pregnant, if the limp is due to the pregnancy, and if she will have pups soon, also if after having the pups will she be less grumpy to my Duffy? If you need more detail just ask me please! I am willing to do whatever I need to do myself before having to go to a vet.

Thanks !

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Is might be possible that she isn't pregnant, but instead is suffering from an ovarian cyst. https://www.guinealynx.info/ovarian_cysts.html

If she is 6 or more weeks pregnant then you should be able to feel the babies moving if you sit with her with your hands under her stomach cupping her widest part for about 20 or so minutes. I have never personally had any issues with walking in pregnant pigs except for when they have a large litter and very wide, but that was an issue with general movement rather then limping.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.