Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage I don't know what to make? Ideas?

• Thread starter TacoBellWinnieP
  • Start date

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
[SUB]So the other day I got a Skinny Pig named Sebastian! He's about a month old and DEFINITELY a boy! Lol. He is currently in his own cage, a Midwest. He's not in a c&c because he can fit through the squares and i didn't have enough coro or grids to baby proof that way soooo.. yeah. Well my other 2 boys, Winnie and Taco, were in a 1.5 X 5.5 (the dimensions of my closet) and were fine until we brought little Sebs home! They were biting and wrestling like I've never seen! So I separated them even though there was no blood shed (that I'd seen.) and they are both three in individual 1.5 X 3's stacked on top of each other with the Midwest on top. I obviously am wanting them all together but i think it would be best to wait until Sebs older. However, my oldest boar, Winnie, seems really happy and is much more talkative and "wheeky" since he's by himself, but Taco seems really lonely! Seb was with his 2 brothers and sister before, but now he's by himself and seems fine.. I am also getting all three neutered, and hopefully that will calm them down? Did this help anyone else with dominance issues? And is there anything specific you guys want me to know about neutering recovery or anything?

My main question, though, is what dimension cage I should make for all three? It's going to be in my closet, so should I have it go out of the doorway of the closet? or maybe just be many levels of 1.5 X 5.5?

Thanks for your help guys! I'll post pics of Sebby-Webby in a little![/SUB]:love:

Last edited:

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
This is Sebastian! HE'S SO CUTE! Seb1.jpg

He likes to snuggle/sleep wrapped in his "blanky!"Seb2.jpg

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
He is such an adorable little guy! Unfortunately I cannot help, but their cage should be at least 2 grids wide. Any thinner and its easier for then to feel squished. Wider is better with boars.

ShadeyPig

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to say wow look at him... so so cute. We dont have skinny pigs in Australia so ive never seen a pet like that he is amazing.

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
He's so cute :)

Neutering does not change the behaviour of guinea pigs I believe, it just stops them from being able to breed. I think your main problem is cage size - 2 grids is a better width. Did you do a proper introduction in neutral territory and completely clean the cage before they went back in?

Here are some links worth looking at:
Neutering - https://cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm
Introductions - https://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

lissie

Cavy Slave
My main question, though, is what dimension cage I should make for all three? It's going to be in my closet, so should I have it go out of the doorway of the closet? or maybe just be many levels of 1.5 X 5.5?

Having the cage go out the door way would be better. With 3 males, the cage should be wider. 3 grids would be ideal, since the cage is not that long. a 2x5.5 is considered small for 3 males. If you could build a 3x5.5, that should be good for them.

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
Sorry guys, I should have been a bit clearer, my fault!!
[MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION] to clarify, I don't have limited space, it's just that my two boars were fine in their 1.5X5.5 before but got all "testosteroned out" with the scent of the new baby. I have lots of grids left over when the 1.5X5.5 is set up, I just don't when theres 3 levels of 1.5X3, ya'know? Also, i have a wardrobe in my room for my clothes. I, too, would not be able to bear housing my pigs with my clothes! Lol!
[MENTION=22833]CathiiPiggie[/MENTION] Yes, they were introed roughly 4 months ago and have been the perfect pair since. I actually used that site, among others, when introing them! Isnt that funny! Thanks though!
& [MENTION=11509]lissie[/MENTION] That's what i was thinking too. The doorway is roughly 3-4 grids wide, so I could do it sticking out the door like longways? I could also have it in like a T shape? I'll post Sketchups later, I don't think I'm explaining this thoroughly enough! Lol!

Thanks guys, so much!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.