Thread: I don't know what to make? Ideas?

Thanks
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

Question I don't know what to make? Ideas?

So the other day I got a Skinny Pig named Sebastian! He's about a month old and DEFINITELY a boy! Lol. He is currently in his own cage, a Midwest. He's not in a c&c because he can fit through the squares and i didn't have enough coro or grids to baby proof that way soooo.. yeah. Well my other 2 boys, Winnie and Taco, were in a 1.5 X 5.5 (the dimensions of my closet) and were fine until we brought little Sebs home! They were biting and wrestling like I've never seen! So I separated them even though there was no blood shed (that I'd seen.) and they are both three in individual 1.5 X 3's stacked on top of each other with the Midwest on top. I obviously am wanting them all together but i think it would be best to wait until Sebs older. However, my oldest boar, Winnie, seems really happy and is much more talkative and "wheeky" since he's by himself, but Taco seems really lonely! Seb was with his 2 brothers and sister before, but now he's by himself and seems fine.. I am also getting all three neutered, and hopefully that will calm them down? Did this help anyone else with dominance issues? And is there anything specific you guys want me to know about neutering recovery or anything?

My main question, though, is what dimension cage I should make for all three? It's going to be in my closet, so should I have it go out of the doorway of the closet? or maybe just be many levels of 1.5 X 5.5?

Thanks for your help guys! I'll post pics of Sebby-Webby in a little!
    Last edited by TacoBellWinnieP; 09-01-13 at 08:30 am. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

Re: I don't know what to make? Ideas?

This is Sebastian! HE'S SO CUTE!Name:  Seb1.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  12.2 KB

He likes to snuggle/sleep wrapped in his "blanky!"Name:  Seb2.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  8.6 KB

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    340 Rec'd/226 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    234 Post(s)

He is such an adorable little guy! Unfortunately I cannot help, but their cage should be at least 2 grids wide. Any thinner and its easier for then to feel squished. Wider is better with boars.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    607 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

Since you have such limited room, I don't understand why you have added to your herd? You have been around long enough to know that a cage that is 1.5 grids wide would only be passable for a single boar. Having had a loft that size, it really isn't appropriate for much of anything. Definitely don't plan on creating a cage for multiple boars that is only 1.5 grids wide. You will likely have lots of squabbles......as you have experienced.

Insofar as the grids being too large and your not having more grids or coroplast, why not cut cardboard to block the grids where your skinny is likely to come in contact with the openings?

I personally would absolutely NOT want any part of a cavy cage in my closet with any clothes! And, my cavy cage is as spotless as possible. If you currently have three levels in the closet, then I'm thinking that it isn't used for clothes? Surely you can put the cage up higher on a bureau or table, and utilize the space underneath for canvas or plastic bins for storage.

How about rearranging your room? Many times we can put things on the walls such as books, audio equipment or storage bins. Lissie is our resident expert with creative room and cage designs.......perhaps she will come along with a suggestion. Why don't you post a drawing of your room with the dimensions so others can offer suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/31 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Just wanted to say wow look at him... so so cute. We dont have skinny pigs in Australia so ive never seen a pet like that he is amazing.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    122 Rec'd/55 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)

He's so cute

Neutering does not change the behaviour of guinea pigs I believe, it just stops them from being able to breed. I think your main problem is cage size - 2 grids is a better width. Did you do a proper introduction in neutral territory and completely clean the cage before they went back in?

Here are some links worth looking at:
    Neutering - http://cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm
    Introductions - http://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,341 Rec'd/1,698 Posts
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1005 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TacoBellWinnieP View Post
    My main question, though, is what dimension cage I should make for all three? It's going to be in my closet, so should I have it go out of the doorway of the closet? or maybe just be many levels of 1.5 X 5.5?
    Having the cage go out the door way would be better. With 3 males, the cage should be wider. 3 grids would be ideal, since the cage is not that long. a 2x5.5 is considered small for 3 males. If you could build a 3x5.5, that should be good for them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

Sorry guys, I should have been a bit clearer, my fault!!
    @spy9doc to clarify, I don't have limited space, it's just that my two boars were fine in their 1.5X5.5 before but got all "testosteroned out" with the scent of the new baby. I have lots of grids left over when the 1.5X5.5 is set up, I just don't when theres 3 levels of 1.5X3, ya'know? Also, i have a wardrobe in my room for my clothes. I, too, would not be able to bear housing my pigs with my clothes! Lol!
    @CathiiPiggie Yes, they were introed roughly 4 months ago and have been the perfect pair since. I actually used that site, among others, when introing them! Isnt that funny! Thanks though!
    & @lissie That's what i was thinking too. The doorway is roughly 3-4 grids wide, so I could do it sticking out the door like longways? I could also have it in like a T shape? I'll post Sketchups later, I don't think I'm explaining this thoroughly enough! Lol!

Thanks guys, so much!

User Tag List