Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing My piggie has a small raw spot on her leg, I think it's from her chewing

Teachrof4s

Cavy Slave
HELP! I woke up this morning and came to say good morning to my piggie, Cinnamon. I noticed that she has a small raw spot on her front right paw that was not there when I put her to bed last night. She is chewing on it and "whimpers" the sore is about the size of a mechanical pencil erasers surface. I am new to owning her she is only 4 months old. She is a solo guinea pig and currently is in a store bought cage. She has free floor time every night for at least an hour. I take her on my enclosed patio. I don't know what to do. Please help!

littlenme

Cavy Slave
I am new to the forum as well, but wanted to bump this up so that maybe some others could post and try to help you. If you can attach a picture it might help. Is it on the surface of the paw, or by a toe? Is she scratching anywhere else? Seem itchy? Is she behaving normally and eating well? What type of bedding is she on? Sopme more info might help the experienced board members to help give you some input.
If she seems worse, is not eating, or behaving normally see a vet.
And please check out the cage suggestions in the cage store. i made my c and c for under 40 dollars and my piggies are so much happier then when in thier store bought. The store bought has been saved for quarintine and travel. I already needed it as one of my babies had a URI.
Welcome to the board and I hope Cinammon is doing alright.

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Hi [MENTION=29086]Teachrof4s[/MENTION] - can you post a pic? Is it on the side or bottom of the foot? And does it look like she has been injured, or does it look like excessive licking or scratching or biting? Is the skin broken, or is it just sore and red? Any info or pic would help.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I agree with above poster! Please post a pic and some more details. It could just be that your pig chewed the hair off (my Moe does this for some reason!) or it could be a fungal infection. Lots of possibilities. A pic might help us see if it is enflamed or angry looking.

Teachrof4s

Cavy Slave
photo 1.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg
These are the best pictures I could get. Cinnamon is 4 months old and this happened over night. She isn't scratching anymore than normal and she continues to eat, drink, run around, popcorn and be her normal self. She doesn't seem to be licking or biting at it excessively. She will let me touch her leg just not the area of the sore (She nips) I have had her since she was three weeks old. She is the runt of the litter. She came from the school I work at. The guinea pigs in the Kindergarten classroom had babies and I took her. I am looking at a C&C cage shortly but she is in a store bought cage right now. She has floor time on my patio every night for a minimum of an hour. I live in south Florida so it has been really hot and she will lay on the metal track of the sliding glass door when she is hot and is ready to come back inside. If you need other information to help let me know. I am trying to avoid the vet until Tuesday because it is a holiday weekend. So any stabilizing suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much to everyone.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
It looks like she got her foot caught. It doesn't look that bad (it's hard to tell for sure!) I'd clean it with some salt water according to the guidelines here https://www.guinealynx.info/antiseptic_solutions.html and keep an eye on it. If you notice swelling and heat coming from the area then it is an emergency and you need to get her to a vet ASAP! Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.