Thread: Help introducing my two sows! Very nervous!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Help introducing my two sows! Very nervous!

Hi, my names Maddy and I have a 9 month old Abby pig named marah. She is the most spunky, sassy and energetic DIVA I have ever seen. But I love her . So I upgraded her cage and got her a friend. Her friend is a 4 month old sheltie named Mukki who is the complete opposite of her, already very submissive and very quiet, she was sick for a while but is now recovered after the vet visit and ready to meet her big sister! Only problem? IM SO SCARED. Marah is very dominate ( even towards me, currently having a nipping behavioral problem) and marah hasn't been around other pigs for 7 months of her short life(so far)! While all Mukki wants is to groom marah, marah has NO CLUE as to what to do with muk. PLEASE HELP! Any and all advice is appreciate please! Introducing next week and I don't know how else I can make it safer/ more successful! I hold them near each other and marah isn't aggressive. But she just gripped Mukkis nail ( thro cage bars!) and pulled with her teeth, Mukki is okay but was it an accident? Or did she try to hurt Mukki? ( marah often chews her bars out of boredom)

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    250 Rec'd/186 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    252 Post(s)

Re: Help introducing my two sows! Very nervous!

http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

Follow these guidelines. You may want to totally separate them until you do introductions, as it may be causing hostility. The "I'm so close yet so far" mentality.

Thanks
    Thanks
    35 Rec'd/22 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

I'm so glad your little piggy is feeling better. Definitely follow the guidelines. I have found that the together baths work well. I have introduced three sows into a herd, all at separate times and never had any real problems. One of them had lived on her own for more than a year before I adopted her and even she did well (although she likes to think she is the new boss of the herd I hope it goes well and don't be too nervous. Don't forget they may chatter, mount, etc, but if there is no blood don't separate them. It is hard to watch them challenge each other but they have to sort out rankings. Hope that helps and good luck!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Okay! I just know my little one loves miss marah haha, but Im sure shell survive the week before I introduce! Marah has shown no other signs of aggression or hostility, mainly minor curiosity. Thank you for replying! Also I had the cages close because I thought it would be good for them to "meet" before I introduce them. Thank you very much! Also I'm introducing on a bathroom floor(neutral) and if they start fighting bad I can put them in the tub and bathe them ( once i seperate and calm them)
    with my Johnson's small animal shampoo and continue after that

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I'm confused with my pigs dominance! Suggestions please!

Hi! So I've posted before and I came home today to find my marah (9months) with a cut on her lip that's already scabbed. She was dominat last time I checked and Mukki has been rumblestrutting since I put them in a week ago today. Today I saw marah rumblestrutting for the first time multiple times and I've been in the room for 10 minutes. I try to give eachother breaks from eachother daily. As well as an hr of floortime. I'm cleaning the cage today. Is it time for a buddy bath? There's two of everything and there's plenty food water hay and Veges. Marah kinda bothers Mukki (my 4 month old) often. Any ideas? 2 hides hits tunnels everything!please help

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2043 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3909 Post(s)

@Maddy6056, please don't start a second thread on a topic you've already started. I had to go digging back through your posts to find out how many pigs you had, what size cage you've got, etc. It just makes it much easier to answer your questions if all the information is in one thread.

I've merged your two threads.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2043 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3909 Post(s)

How large is the cage?

And why are you separating them daily? Did you read the article that @aspecht gave you?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

They have a 2x4 c&c with a 1x2 loft. I don't separate them really. I give them separate lap time for a little each so they can have some alone time. I have just the two girls and I'm sorry for any inconvenience. Today they've been acting like I just put them in. Mukki ( the younger one) is fed up. Spraying and bucking. Because marah follows her a lot and bothers her. They've never been over aggressive and seem to get off fine. Why r they suddenly so agitated? I give them floor time daily and grazing weekly. I did introductions properly and everything in the cage was cleaned and I built a brand new cage just for them. 2 food bowls, 2 hay racks, two water bottles, multiple toys. I'm so confused on why they are more agitated. Buddy bath?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

This is the first time they've really gotten on eachothers nerves in the big cage

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Marahs in heat. I'm assuming that's it? Should I do a buddy bath another day?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Help again! Please! My girls for two days have been going at it! Nothing has changed except I moves them to fleece over a week gal and they love it. There's plenty of beds tunnels tubes and hideous plenty of food hay and chews. But they've been teeth chattering and rumblestrutting a lot and have actually lunged a few times that I've seen. I'm worried for the safety of my girls. I'm rearranging the loft cuz I know marah kicks my younger pig Mukki out of there. Marahs bigger and just natural boss pig, is Mukki still trying for the part? She's very shy and I don't think it's her place. How can I help, they live in a 2x4 with a loft for food

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I'm constantly checking for marks and constantly picking one up with a towel to give them a break. They've never been like this even when we introduced them about 2 months ago

User Tag List