Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Signs of a Depressed Guinea Pig?

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
I had to separate my boy, Ace, from my two girls because we found out he was a boy. The girls aren't pregnant so we got a friend, Buddy, for him about a week ago. Buddy is in quarantine right now, and he was at the rescue for a while because people didn't like how he looked. (white crested guinea pig that is all white with red eyes). He is now in his 2x3 and he barely comes out of his hidey hut. I haven't been too concerned, because he does come out to eat his pellets, hay, and vegetables. He doesn't drink water, but I do put extra water on his vegetables. Do guinea pigs get depressed or no? I will be introducing Ace and Buddy soon. Also, how long should quarantine be? I have heard two weeks and three weeks. I would like to introduce them before school, but that will only give two weeks for quarantine. I start school on September 4th. :sad:

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Guinea lynx says: "Some guinea pigs tend to adjust to being a single pig better than others do. Not eating or drinking, and sitting in one spot continuously are signs that [your guinea pig] isn't adjusting well." -https://www.guinealynx.info/alone.html

As far as quarantine goes, my preference is 3-4 weeks and they always need to be quarantined in a separate room.

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You could try giving him water in a bowl. My girls never drank from the bottle, but they do drink from a bowl. Good luck!

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
Guinea lynx says: "Some guinea pigs tend to adjust to being a single pig better than others do. Not eating or drinking, and sitting in one spot continuously are signs that [your guinea pig] isn't adjusting well." -https://www.guinealynx.info/alone.html

As far as quarantine goes, my preference is 3-4 weeks and they always need to be quarantined in a separate room.
So, my guinea pig isn't adjusting well? :sad: Im hoping that when we introduce them, Buddy will feel better.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
He should be fine as long as he is still eating. Once you successfully introduce the two I'm sure they'll be fine! I would shoot for 3 weeks. It can take two weeks for a URI to show symptoms.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Spuds went through depression when I had to separate him from Guinness; he stayed in his pigloo all day, and wouldn't touch his pellets at all, although he would come out for hay and veggies. He perked right up after he was neutered and met Mable. I'm sure Ace will perk up when he meets Buddy, too. :)

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
When one of my girls died her cage mate stop eating, drinking etc. I had to feed her critical care and water untill we go a cage mate. It was kinda a cute. Fed her like a baby. Even to the point I put a bib on her..

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
Thank you. :) Also, I have heard that you should introduce them when your new guinea pig is either really used to you or tame. Is that true?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.