5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Becomming annoyed! please Help!

I am feeling annoyed about this!
    We are about to make a 2x6 C&C cage really soon. I am feeling annoyed because

1. I have a table that I will be putting this cage on. For about 5mins or less I put the Grids together & out the guinea pigs in the cage to see how this would work out.
    Mine run all the time when you try to pick them up. I find it very hard to reach over the grids to try to catch them! I had to get one of the plastic huts to catch them in & slide the hut over to me until I was able to get one.
    Is there an easier way to get this to work?

2. My husband is planning to use Plywood for the base & sides instead of coroplast. When I see something done a certain way then thats the way I want it . Im having a hard time finding coroplast. I actually saw some at my local home depot but I am unsure of the size I need.
    Can anyone help me out? & where should I cut etc?

3.Then there is the Grids again. Maybe if I can some how get them to flip down or something maybe that would be alot easier, But how do I get them to do that? I need step by step instructions or something to show me.
    It's gonna be pretty hard to spot clean a few times aday if I can't get my arms in there right!

4. Would it be better just to take the desk out & build the Stands with the grids?

5. Also Im still not understanding on how to make a loft? I can't seem to get them connect right or something? or even a second level? please help!

6. If I just wanted to add a second story one Im guessing I would just cover the open part with grids?
    If I wanted to add a second story on & a ramp to go up to that second story how does that work?

7. How do I even make the ramps? what do I make them out of & for them to be safe

I am sorry for all these questions! But I am becomming annoyed & feel like this may just be a hassle & want to quit !! but would like to give them more space!

Please no mean/sarcastic answers! Just please help me by giving step by step instructions or something!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/11 Posts

Re: Becomming annoyed! please Help!

I just bought my grids from Kmart today & my coroplast from my local Home Depot 72"x36". I bought 2sheets @ $13.46 ea.

i too am having a hard time figuring out what kind of table to put on. It can't be on the floor cause I have a cat & 6 little dogs. I am stumped. So, am going to go look at others cage photos. Building a table is out of the question for me - I do not have any tools that it would require. I don't want it to be too tall either because I am short & would defeat the idea of being easy to clean.

http://www.kmart.com/stor-floor-stan...1&blockType=G1

http://www.homedepot.com/p/72-in-x-3...672/202771364#.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

What about building a bottom level with grids like the one in the cage store? I thought about doing this myself but it cost me $25 for each set of grids so not sure if I want to spend another $25. I probly will tho. Check out my photo album and see if that helps you. Let me know if you have any questions. I found that the grids sometimes don't stay together so I used zap straps. Also go on youtube and look up videos to build cages. Thats what I did. For the second level I attached 2 grids like I was making a top over one side and used zap straps along with the connectors to make it stable.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Also I made my own ramp. I went on youtube and looked for a video. I adjusted it to my liking. Basically I took 2 grids and slowly, and I mean slowly bent them on each side ( you can bend on one side if you like that look better). Then I attached them together with zap straps. I used left over coroplast to make a ramp down the middle and cut up pieces of the coroplast and hot glued them down to the long piece of coroplast. I then zap strapped the long strip to the ramp. Used zap straps again to attach to top level. I showed some close ups in my album on my profile. If you need to something closer up please let me know and I will gladly post some more pics. I did notice that my coroplast for the top level didn't turn out as well but I have some extra so I'll probly make a new one. Good Luck and keep us posted!!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/35 Posts

My hubs just helped me build a stand for mine out of wood closet doors he had laying around (replaced with nicer doors a cupla yrs ago and kept the old ones in the garage.) I took a tape measure and measured against myself where I would be comfortable reaching into the cage (I measured to where I wanted the top of the cage to be). We then cut the doors, nailed them together, and put the cage on top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	54927  

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/11 Posts

@Lasinalia That gave me a WONDERFUL idea - I have an old bookcase that I can use to make a table!!!!!! thanks very much for sharing your photo & idea

7. "Thank you, Skinny Wilbur, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/35 Posts

Welcome!!! I love upcycling!

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    516 Rec'd/374 Posts

what you need is 4mm coroplast. My suggestion is to order the coroplast from the cage store. it will already be cut and scored then if you ever need to replace it you can just use the old one as a template. I think it would be much easier to just do that for your first time rather than deal with building/cutting/screwing plywood. Also, now you still need to protect the plywood from moisture or it's going to stink/rot/get moldy from the urine and water bottle drips.

As for the cage itself, I think it is way easier to just build the stand out of grids. They recommend building the stand separately and then putting the cage on top and then cable tie it all together. I just built mine as one big unit. Since you are having so much trouble I think you would be better off skipping the connectors and just cable tie it all together. I would use 8" cable ties because they are much stronger than 4" . By skipping the connectors you can more easily make a drop down front so you can reach in easier. However if you decide to skip the connectors and you want to order the coroplast from the cage store you need to tell them you didn't use connectors because the cage will be slightly smaller so the coroplast needs to be made a bit smaller or it won't fit.

Another thought, if you do choose to use coroplast instead of plywood... rather than taping the sides up I would use velcro so that you can just slide the tray out a bit, un-velcro the sides so you can drop down the front and sweep the mess right into a trash can. it also makes it easier to reach in and grab your pigs. And much easier to wipe off pee and get dirt out of the corners.

Check youtube for videos on how to build your cage.

For the ramp, I would build it out of bent grids (bend them into a U shape) and cable tie them together then cable tie it to the loft.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    134 Rec'd/98 Posts

I have a cage on a table where the front grids flip down. I just attached all the grids together with zip/cable ties instead of connectors and then use larger cable ties as "hinges" along the base, and then hold the front panel up with carabiner clips when it's not flipped down. Not sure if that makes sense, but I can probably whip you up a really dodgy diagram so you can visualise it better?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Traysea View Post
    what you need is 4mm coroplast. My suggestion is to order the coroplast from the cage store. it will already be cut and scored then if you ever need to replace it you can just use the old one as a template. I think it would be much easier to just do that for your first time rather than deal with building/cutting/screwing plywood. Also, now you still need to protect the plywood from moisture or it's going to stink/rot/get moldy from the urine and water bottle drips.

As for the cage itself, I think it is way easier to just build the stand out of grids. They recommend building the stand separately and then putting the cage on top and then cable tie it all together. I just built mine as one big unit. Since you are having so much trouble I think you would be better off skipping the connectors and just cable tie it all together. I would use 8" cable ties because they are much stronger than 4" . By skipping the connectors you can more easily make a drop down front so you can reach in easier. However if you decide to skip the connectors and you want to order the coroplast from the cage store you need to tell them you didn't use connectors because the cage will be slightly smaller so the coroplast needs to be made a bit smaller or it won't fit.

Another thought, if you do choose to use coroplast instead of plywood... rather than taping the sides up I would use velcro so that you can just slide the tray out a bit, un-velcro the sides so you can drop down the front and sweep the mess right into a trash can. it also makes it easier to reach in and grab your pigs. And much easier to wipe off pee and get dirt out of the corners.

Check youtube for videos on how to build your cage.

For the ramp, I would build it out of bent grids (bend them into a U shape) and cable tie them together then cable tie it to the loft.
    4mm is thick right? What Size of coroplast do I need though? I know you can get it at home depot just not sure of the size

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    524 Rec'd/459 Posts

I am 5'4 and having a two grid high base is perfect for me as long as the cage is only 2 grids wide. Not only is a great back saver, you are not towering over the pigs and if you added in shelves, you have plenty of storage.

I think making the base out of wood if not sealed correctly will start stinking really bad once the urine is soaked into the wood. If you go with the coroplas measure twice and just go slow to make sure you do it right the first time. Have plenty of tape too just encase. If you do not use connecters the base size will be different from the directions given.

This is a great guide for building your C&C.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    524 Rec'd/459 Posts

Example of the under storage of a two grid base.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    516 Rec'd/374 Posts

yes, 4mm is the thickness of the coroplast.

To get the exact dimensions, what you need to do is build the cage first (exact measurements depend on if you use connectors or not) Then put a tape measure inside to measure the base (that is how big the tray is. You need to measure the inside of the cage at the bottom of the cage. If you used connectors you need to measure inside the connectors. It will probably be somewhere along the measurements of 27x84 which would be about the dimensions of the tray then you need to add to that measurement how high you want your coroplast walls to be. The typical measurement is 6" sides so you would need to add 12" to both the length and the width. Making the sheet of coroplast you need to be approximately 38" wide by 96" long.

EXACT dimensions are going to be based on your cage, and if you used connectors or not. Truthfully, if you can spring the extra few bucks it would be soo much easier to just order the tray from the cage store for the first time and then use that one as a template in the future so you have it exact. The case store bases are already cut to size and scored. All you need to do is fold up the sides and add a little velcro to the edges. Put the flaps on the outside of the tray so the inside of the tray is flush and the pigs cant chew the flaps. Using velcro instead of tape will make cleaning easier plus you can slide the tray out of the cage if you do drop down fronts and then open the front of the tray and just sweep out all the mess. And it makes it easier to reach your pigs.

I have made 3 trays for my cages but they are never as nice fitting as the one I got from the cage store. The one i got from the cage store was a perfect fit, the ones I did at home ended up being a little smaller and it looks much nicer and gives that much more room in the cage when it fits as close as possible. Measurements have to be pretty accurate because it is a HUGE pain if you make it a little too big and it doesn't fit. Then you have to tape it up and recut and it looks like crap.

The link below is the base you would order from the store. (Also I am in no way affiliated with the store other than I really like the products they offer. I find a couple of wonder bars to be a really great and useful thing to have for lofts and for lid stability).

http://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/c...o#.Uh4fvhafdhA

Quote Originally Posted by Apseybaby View Post
    4mm is thick right? What Size of coroplast do I need though? I know you can get it at home depot just not sure of the size

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stray hares View Post
    I have a cage on a table where the front grids flip down. I just attached all the grids together with zip/cable ties instead of connectors and then use larger cable ties as "hinges" along the base, and then hold the front panel up with carabiner clips when it's not flipped down. Not sure if that makes sense, but I can probably whip you up a really dodgy diagram so you can visualise it better?
    Could you show me a video of yours or something on how to do that?
    and does anyone have any youtube video on how to make the grids flip down etc? to make it easier to clean & to get the guinea pigs. I have looked but I can't seem to find what im looking for? maybe im typing something in wrong. Please help!

User Tag List