Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Questions about Making a C&C cage & more

Hello,
    Im thinking about building a C&C Cage & have a few questions I would like to ask. Also please be sure to also check out my questions about fleece here
    http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...neath-amp-more
    It would be great if you could also answer those if possible!
    Like I said in my other one I may have asked these questions before different times & looked up but I would like them to be in one spot to where I know so I can go back to it if I need to :-)
    Ok my questions!

1. Im planning to pick up from grids from kmart & want to make sure these are the right ones. http://www.kmart.com/stor-floor-stan...90001P?prdNo=3
    If anyone knows of a place that would be cheaper please let me know!

2. What all do I need to make the Cages?

3. Can you tell me what I need to do to make sure they are study?

4. Do I really need a table to put them on? can I put it on the floor?

5. Are The Grids Sturdy enough to use as a table also? I see pictures of this but feel it wouldn't be too safe??

6. I saw people who double stack or maybe triple stack their cages... Is that really safe?

7. If it's safe how do you make it to be that safe?

8. Please give me your thoughts of double stacking or triple stack cages if you have ever done it? Pros? & cons?

9. If you were to double/triple stack how would you beable to get into your other guinea pigs easily?

10. My questions for coroplast is in my thread about fleece above

11. If I wanted a loft with a ramp how would I make that & be sure it's safe?

12. Would a kitchen be about the same as a loft?

13. Is There directions on how to build a C&C cage?

I think that is all the questions I can think of! If theses something I missed or you could give me more advice/info It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanks
    50 Rec'd/26 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

Re: Questions about Making a C&C cage & more

Please read this article VERY CAREFULLY before purchasing your K-Mart grids!: http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...s!-PLEASE-READ!!

And how about you do some homework and THEN ask questions:
    http://www.guineapigcages.com/index.htm - Read through every article and come back

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,314 Rec'd/5,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3903 Post(s)

Ditto @ThePigSlave. Click on the Main tab at the top of the page, and you'll find all the information you need about C&C cages.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I have looked at the kmart thing. They are 9 square so I think they would be good. I just wanted to make sure.
    I also have read the site too but it easier for to have all questions answered in one thing so I can go back & look at it
    Im slow at understanding & need stuff answered in my own way
    so I am very sorry for asking these questions :-(

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,314 Rec'd/5,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3903 Post(s)

@Apseybaby, you don't have to apologize for asking the questions. But when you do that, you're asking people to spend time re-typing information that has already been typed and error checked. You'll get much better information from the Main page of this site than you will by asking questions here.

Once you've read and digested all that, then come back and post specific questions about what you didn't understand.

And, you can't have read it very well, because your last question is whether or not there are directions on building a C&C cage, and they're on that page we referred you to. However, if you don't want to build one on your own, go see www.guineapigcagesstore.com -- they sell everything you need.

Thanks
    Thanks
    516 Rec'd/374 Posts
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Apseybaby View Post
    Hello,
    Im thinking about building a C&C Cage & have a few questions I would like to ask. Also please be sure to also check out my questions about fleece here
    Like I said in my other one I may have asked these questions before different times & looked up but I would like them to be in one spot to where I know so I can go back to it if I need to :-)
    Ok my questions!

1. Im planning to pick up from grids from kmart & want to make sure these are the right ones. http://www.kmart.com/stor-floor-stan...90001P?prdNo=3

the ones in the photos are ok, but you have to check the store and confirm the grids are about 14" square with 9 rows of boxes going up and across.

2. What all do I need to make the Cages
    Coroplast big enough for the whole floor plus 6" all around, 9 square 14" Grids, a couple hundred cable ties, i prefer 8" because they are much stronger but some people use 4" in the same color as the grids is always nice

Zip ties on ever single joint and connection.

Either way, but a stand helps your back and provides storage. If money is an issue build the cage first then build a separate stand later when money allows for it.

5. Are The Grids Sturdy enough to use as a table also? I see pictures of this but feel it wouldn't be too safe??
    yes but you need to tie wrap it all.

6. I saw people who double stack or maybe triple stack their cages... Is that really safe?
    Yes.

Zip tie each joint.

8. Please give me your thoughts of double stacking or triple stack cages if you have ever done it? Pros? & cons?

Pros, it's more space and allows for more stimulation because you can create different enriching environments on each level.

Cons, it costs more in time and materials to maintain additional space assuming you are at maximum space for the initial cage. Meaning if you have built as big as you can in length and width and now you are building multiple levels then you are technically cleaning 2-3 cages and not just one. Pigs like long wide spaces more than they like multilevels. So a 2x6 is better than a double decker 2x3. But a double decker 2x6 is better than a single 2x6.

9. If you were to double/triple stack how would you beable to get into your other guinea pigs easily?
    you do drop down fronts and a lift up top. You do drop down front coroplast with Velcro instead of tape.

build it with high walls on a long incline using bent grids and tie wrap it all together. Or buy one from the cage store, they are really nice!

12. Would a kitchen be about the same as a loft? No a kitchen is a designated room for eating and pooping, a loft is a raised area on top of the main floor.

Yes, the link is posted in the other replies.

I think that is all the questions I can think of! If theses something I missed or you could give me more advice/info It would be greatly appreciated!
    keep reding and looking at how other people are making theirs. Look in the photo galleries for ideas and check YouTube for videos.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    64 Rec'd/57 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Apseybaby View Post
    Hello,
    Ok my questions!

2. What all do I need to make the Cages?

12. Would a kitchen be about the same as a loft?

Lol like me xD So many questions! I wouldn't mind answering them :P

1.) Those are the cheapest ive seen, but double check Craigslist, and your local Thrift store, because I bought 48 grids for only 25$ from craigslist ^^
    2.) Grids, Coroplast, and LOTS OF ZIPTIES. additionally, fleece, or bedding c:
    3.) To make sure they are sturdy, when you put it together, and get it together, put a little bit of weight on it, maybe 10-15 pounds (Correct me if im wrong or if its to much :P)
    4.) You can put it on the floor, but they are more likely to get hit with dust, dirt and it scarier because who wants something 100x bigger than them walking around them :P
    5.) Yep, just gotta make sure you make it balanced, and make sure your zipties are tightly done or the connectors are on securely!
    6.) I don't know much about that ^^'' Sorry
    7.) o.O I don't understand the question..
    8.)...next..
    9.)...the.. top?.. o.o..
    10.)o.O one word, gallery.
    11.)Gallery again
    12.)Yep.
    13.) Youtube! (Check out PiggiePigPigs, hers is thoroughly done ^^)

If anyone here has better advice, please do :P But please do your research too.. ^^

User Tag List