Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Cyst HELP!! Ovarian Cysts!!!!

JennasPigs

Cavy Slave
So, probably about 3 weeks ago I noticed some hair loss on my guinea pig, Monica. I thought nothing of it, she's an Abby and her fur was probably just pulled back. After that I noticed she was uncontrollably rumbling and mounting her cagemate any chance she got. I got home late last night at about 11:00 and the cage was a mess and I couldn't go to bed with it like that. I quickly took everything out and noticed under the fleece on the puppy pads it was bloody. I thought that a was just seeing things being so tired. This morning I noticed on one of her sides she has a bald spot on her side/stomach about 4 centimeters in diameter. There's one on the other side, but not as big. She is five years old. She will be seeing a vet in a couple hours, so please don't suggest that. I need personal experience. Do you have a pig 5+ with a Ovarian Cyst? What did the vet do? Did it recover? What treatments are there? Is spaying to much of a risk at her age? What are some other ways to help her?I separated her from her buddy as I don't want her moving around and I think Marmalade has had enough of this hormonal behavior. I am very upset by this and hope she can recover :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are two treatments for ovarian cysts -- spaying, and hormone injections. There are pros and cons to either one -- you and your vet will just have to decide which one is best for your pig.

Surgery is the only sure cure. Spaying sows is a very invasive procedure, but can be done at five years of age if the pig is in otherwise good health and you've got a vet who has done a number of spays before. You don't want your guinea pig to be a guinea pig for the vet's learning skills. There are many people who've had sows spayed at that age and they've gotten along just fine.

There are a couple of kinds of hormones. Either of them may work, neither of them may work. You just don't know until you try. Some pigs get a good response that lasts for months, maybe even a year or so, and another treatment can be given if they come back. Others may have some response, but the cysts don't totally shrink, and start regrowing within just a few weeks of months. Or, the hormones may not work at all.

A third option, which really does nothing for the cysts, is draining them with a needle. That keeps the size of the cyst down for a little while, and prevents it from bursting. But it's a risky procedure, as internal organs may be accidentally punctured, requiring emergency surgery and possible loss of the pig. I don't consider this a viable option at all.

You should discuss the treatments with your vet. If your pig is healthy, either surgery or hormones can be used. Do be very sure that your vet is competent to do the surgery if you decide to go that route.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.