Thanks
    Thanks
    114 Rec'd/83 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)

Question How to help her lose weight?

My pig Emily has turned into a very big piggy. She currently weighs in at a little over 3lbs. My vet says she needs to lose weight. You can tell she is uncomfortable. She needs help trying to groom herself and eat her poo. She gets very uncomfortable being picked up because there is so much of her to support. She lives with my 3 other pigs. They each get 1/8 cup of oxbow adult cavy cuisine along with 2 meals of veggies. One in the morning and one at night. Our newest pig Lexi was sick and we are trying to make her gain weight so I don't want to take away pellets for her. Anyone experience this and have any suggestions as to how I can help her lose weight? I don't want to separate her because it took me a long time to get her to get along with all of the pigs. (She likes to be dominant).
    Last edited by xXMaggieXx; 08-02-13 at 09:17 pm. Reason: typo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner MochaAndMoo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    458 Rec'd/301 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    200 Post(s)

Re: How to help her lose weight?

Feed her separately, you'll only have to separate for meal times, this way you can monitor how much she is eating (Sounds like she might be eating her cagemates serving as well, especially if she is dominant). She should get 1/8 of a cup of pellets, one cup of veggies and unlimited hay.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    114 Rec'd/83 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)

I do notice she like to sit and munch on pellets all night. She isnt dominant at the moment because she is too lazy to boss the pigs right now. I'll start separating her for meals hopefully that will help.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,225 Rec'd/5,755 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3798 Post(s)

You can't keep her from eating the other pigs' pellets. What you can do is separate her from the others during meal times, and just give her less of the food. You can also put the pellets down for the others and let them eat theirs before you give them their food, then take the pellet dishes up. They'll get used to that routine, and will learn to eat the pellets when they appear.

The other possibility is just to go pelletless, and take Lexi out for extra food.

5. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List