Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Help on introducing guinea pigs to each other?

bumbles011

Cavy Slave
I adopted a 1 yr old guinea pig from the shelter so my 6 yr old piggie would have a friend(both females). I followed all of the tips from the social life page on cavy spirit. I think it went ok. The 6yr old was nibbling the baby's ear and back...grooming i think? The baby was making stressed out noises but there was no fights so i think the meeting went ok. I'm wondering, When should i let the two pigs meet again? And do i let them meet the same place as the first time? Or should i put them in another neutral area in a different part of the house?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You shouldn't have separated them. Now they have to start all over again.

While they're on the floor, clean the cage thoroughly so ir doesn't smell like either pig, then put them in. Your cage is​ big enough for two, right?

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
Always nuetral areas. I introduced mine once a day for a week in the same spot as the first, during the last meet I set up the new cage with all new things or sterilized things and put them in it.

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave
If everything was fine, why did you separate them?

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave
Always nuetral areas. I introduced mine once a day for a week in the same spot as the first, during the last meet I set up the new cage with all new things or sterilized things and put them in it.

You shouldn't put them together and then separate multiple times. It helps for introducing rabbits, but not guinea pigs. It means that they have to reassert dominance all over again, and there's really no need to.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.