Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Guinea Pig pregnant for too long? (with pictures)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Piggielove1, please don't hijack someone else's thread about their pig -- start your own. Thanks.

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
Updates:

Still no babies and i talked to the vet, she said she wasn't sure of when it was conceived 100%, now she said that they have to come within this week, otherwise i should call her immediately.

She also said i shouldnt remove any of the other guinea pigs, because i wondered if she might get her babies earlier and more calm if i put her in a cage alone and the other 3 somewhere else. Or doesn't it matter?

aspecht

Cavy Slave
It is best to leave them be. Moving her could cause her more stress, and the other pigs should leave her be, or help out with the babies!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Leave them alone. Unless your cage is just VERY crowded, the other sows should make good aunties.

Teddyboys

Cavy Slave
Hi there!
Wish you all the best luck :). Piggies have their pups appr. in between 5 min. If the next one comes quickly after another, sow can get confused and "foreget" to open the sac because still cleaning the one that just come out. Then you might have to open the sac. Mine did get her pups afternoon, just came home and was lucky to see it happen. That was ages ago. I only have had one sow pregnat, luckily, now I have just two boys. Your sow looks super pretty, babys must be adorable when they come:love:.

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
bpatters and aspecht

Thanks for the help, no its not too crowded, however the non-pregnant sow "Squirrel" often runs into the houses of the pregnant guinea pigs and then i hear the Squirrel wheeking extremly loud and some rumbling and then everyone runs out. Its like she wants to have contact with the pregnant ones, but they dont want her, which then leads to stress for the pregnant ones.

"Uboot" the soon-to-be-father is calm, he often licks the chin and neck of the pregnant sows, makes his rumbling sound which they apparently like and also sniffs their vulvas alot (he's castrated since 4 weeks)

So should i keep squirrel in with the pregnant ones? Maybe i worry too much and those things don't stress them.

Update

Still no babies! Blackfoot (the teddy who could get into labor any moment) is still healthy, eats and drinks alot, she just lies down on her tummy and stretches her legs in every direction alot. But everything fine so far.

I talked to my vet today and she said "If they dont come after 4th august you should call me."

I hope everything goes well. Can i support the pregnant pigs with anything so they have a good birth and less risk of problems that could occur?

natsmom26

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Good luck. Your piggies are adorable. The babies should be cute. Be sure to post pics.

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
Thanks natsmom26 :) I hope i won't need luck, and everything goes well. Its in the middle of the night here 3:10 am, luckily i also have work to do at home, always hoping when i check on them at night i will see the birth, but before anyone here thinks i check on my piggies every 5 minutes, no only once at night.

And still no babies, while i handfed Blackfoot, i was feeling her tummy on both sides gently, and the babies are still moving, so everything fine :)

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Very exiting! Looks like your questions have already been answered, but I had to comment because my very first guinea pig was a Teddy, named Blackfoot :) Just made me smile, good luck with the babies!

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
MizzyMiz Haha that's really a funny coincidence, did she also have just one black foot or different reason for the name?
And if you go a few posts above, i still have a few new questions, maybe you can answer them :)

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Squirrel should be fine in the cage, I doubt it stresses the pregnant girls out to much as they are probably just letting squirrel know to get out of their space. She should be fine giving birth on her own, and any help you may try to offer will probably just stress her out as she will be feeling very vulnerable while she is in labor.

The only help you could provide is if you are present at the birth and she fails to open a sack on a baby (which is uncommon), if that happens then you need to step in and break the sack around it's mouth so it can start breathing. If you put it back in she should then clean it off, but if she doesn't you also need to do that.

If anything else goes wrong she needs to be seen by a vet, the signs of an issue are -

She is in labor for more than 15 minutes without producing anything (could be any number of delivery issues).
She has given birth but something seems to be poking out (could be a prolapse).
She smells odd (could be pregnancy toxemia - this can happen anywhere up to a few weeks after they have given birth and at any point during pregnancy)

Remember you know you pet best so if you feel something isn't right then take her to a vet.

TheMuffinPiggy

Cavy Slave
Good luck! Will you be keeping the babies? I'm sure they will be beautiful!

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
Soecara

Thanks for the advice :) I'll be gone tomorrow until saturday evening, but the piggies are not alone, but maybe i'll miss the birth then. Anyway, the babies gonna be cute.

One question about food: I give the two pregnant ones alot of hay and dendelions (a little) and once a week a red pepper and daily a little lollo rosso salad, they are fine with it, i just hope its enough vitamins. Their stool is alright aswell. Should i add anything else? My vet said i should give them "corn"/"fibers"? Dont know if thats right in english. Lets say, food that makes them gain more weight, they already have alot but she said its always better if they have even more

TheMuffinPiggy
I'll keep one, one goes to my sister, and one will be up for adoption, but thats fine. In Germany you usually find great loving people to adopt piggy babies anyway. They're very popular here.

Update

Still no babies! I just fed them, and while Blackfoot eats, she lets me check her tummy, the babies move, so everything fine :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm not totally sure what a "lo rosso" salad is -- looks like a salad made with red leaf lettuce. If so, that's fine. But you need to give bell pepper every day -- it's the easiest, best source of vitamin C for pigs.

Mine get corn silks every day that I can find them, and the inner husks. I throw the outer husks away because corn is grown with so many pesticides that I figure they aren't safe.

GuineaLoveer

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
uhhh i cant wait to see the pups good luck
mine is about that size too and a teddy mix and due anytime now lol
very pretty piggy;)

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
bpatters I meant to write "Lollo Rosso" Salad. Its red salad yes :)

Update

Today Milka (The black and white guinea pig which was pregnant with two piggies) gave birth! I came home and wa about to clean the cage, put one of the wooden houses out and saw a bloody spot and 2 very cute black and white babies in the corner :) Mom and Babies seem healthy! And its a boy and a girl!

But i'm very confused now, because Blackfoot still didn't give birth to her three guinea pigs. My vet said to call her if they didnt come until the 4th of August. Should i just wait a little more before getting worried? She still seems healthy and the babies in her tummy are kicking!

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
Pictures please! Babies are adorable!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
As long as you can feel the babies moving and she's not obviously in labor, I'd just wait.

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
Update:

Blackfoot
just gave birth and i could watch :) Everything is great, 3 beautiful babies! She bled a little more than Milka, but Milka only had 2 babies, so i guess its alright.

Pictures of all 5 babies will follow very soon! Want them to relax a little first.

TheMuffinPiggy

Cavy Slave
Update:

Blackfoot
just gave birth and i could watch :) Everything is great, 3 beautiful babies! She bled a little more than Milka, but Milka only had 2 babies, so i guess its alright.

Pictures of all 5 babies will follow very soon! Want them to relax a little first.
Congratulations!!!! I can't wait to see pictures!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.