Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Guinea Pig pregnant for too long? (with pictures)

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
Awww babies!!

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
I'll try to take some pictures now without getting them out of the cage :)

The color combinations are:

Blackfoot: 1x black & ginger with teddy hair, 1x beige, white & black with teddy hair and 1 black & ginger with straight hair (Dad is straight hair)

Milka: Both black & white like her mom, one looks like a Panda though which is nice :)

Dad seems uninterested and annoyed by the babies. He always snaps at them when they want some love lol

farmersdaughter

Cavy Slave
I'll try to take some pictures now without getting them out of the cage :)

The color combinations are:

Blackfoot: 1x black & ginger with teddy hair, 1x beige, white & black with teddy hair and 1 black & ginger with straight hair (Dad is straight hair)

Milka: Both black & white like her mom, one looks like a Panda though which is nice :)

Dad seems uninterested and annoyed by the babies. He always snaps at them when they want some love lol
Is dad out of the cage? If not he can get momma pigs pregnant again.

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
Is dad out of the cage? If not he can get momma pigs pregnant again.

No no don't worry. I took him to the vet to get castrated first thing when i noticed they were pregnant. He's castrated since 6 weeks.

But when should i put the male babies somewhere else? When will they be able to impregnate?

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
A little preview picture :)

Attachments

Previewpiggay.jpg

littlenme

Cavy Slave
awwww so sweet

Aleks

Cavy Slave
No no don't worry. I took him to the vet to get castrated first thing when i noticed they were pregnant. He's castrated since 6 weeks.

But when should i put the male babies somewhere else? When will they be able to impregnate?

Males should be separated at 3 weeks. :)

Sunny

Cavy Slave
Ooooooh, what a cutie!!!!!!!!

Congrats on a healthy momma and babies!

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
And here is everyone :) I'm quiet surprised about what came out of Blackfoot (The Colors) Not surprised about Milkas b&w babies though lol

I put them all in a big box together with their moms while i took one picture of everyone and the group picture :)

Enjoy!

Attachments

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
And the whole piggy bunch lol

Attachments

1.jpg

aspecht

Cavy Slave
OMG what cuties! I would LOVE to have a teddy, or a texel! But I can't get over that last piggy, too cute!

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
Adorable!! I half hope my pigs are pregnant (previvous owner left baby boy in past 3 weeks) but I really don't want to find homes for MORE babies!

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
@aspecht I have a teddy (I think). Check out my pics for the girls and soon I will post of the boys.

What I mean to say is, I'm trying to find homes for some of my piggies. I ended up with five when I originally wanted 2.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I couldn't find pictures of a teddy, but your black and white crested could be my Henry's twin!

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the nice comments to the both of you :)

But no offense, please don't hijack my thread.

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
Just fyi we did take it to PM :)

Wish I could have had my piggerts from the start instead of a month old... Cutie patooties when they're so small.

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
Yes i thought you did, just felt like mentioning it because it's been the second time in this thread so other people hopefully don't do it :)

Yes they're very cute and you want to pick them up everytime you see them running through the cage, but at the same time you got alot of responsibility and have to take much more care. I had to babyproof everything so they don't try to get out or get stuck somewhere. Luckily 2 days ago when Milkas babies arrived one of them tried to get behind a wooden house, succeded and then was stuck, luckily that happened while i was there.

But yeah, right now i plan on making alot of videos and take pictures. If you got instagram, i got a video there and more will follow. :)

My instagram is: Lynxmo

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone :)

It has been 3 weeks now when all the 5 babies came. But i have an important question of something i noticed:

Eichhörnchen (my brown young female) suddenly had a baby too. Only one, however after she gave birth the 3 week old baby boys started running after her and trying to hump her.
Did they only do it because of her smell after giving birth? Because after that day they stopped. And i cant seperate the babies yet from their mom, i tried for almost a whole day, they got so crazy and freaked out so much and screamed all day.

Then i put them back with their moms and they went to her teats immediately.

So was that only a little incident because of the birth or what should i do? I think they have to stay with their mom until 4 weeks but arent they able to reproduce after 3 weeks?

Thanks in advance!

NormaS

Cavy Slave
Female guinea pigs go into heat right after giving birth. That's why the boys went into sexual overdrive. And yes, boys can impregnate a female after they Re three weeks old. That's why it is recommended to separate them from their Mom and sisters when they are three weeks old. You may need to consider placing them in a different room so they cannot smell the females.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
No they do not need to be with their mum any more. They will cry and scream for her, but taking them away will not harm them. However if you leave them with her it could harm her, the last thing she needs is to become pregnant again and the boys will become fertile somewhere around three and a half to four weeks old (as an average, some boys are sooner, some later).

I do not believe they would have successfully mounted the other sow, but the longer they are in there the more likely it becomes.

Now to separating the boys, I personally know how hard it can be seeing them so distressed. I had one boy who was so attached to his mum he cried for three days (even at night when he wasn't asleep - I put him in my bedroom so I could keep an eye on him), the only thing that helped him to stop was putting him in with an adult boar. I now always house any baby boys with my most friendly adult boar (who has had a bad run with cage mates as he is has a very unique personality, and likes to cuddle other pigs). It may help your babies if you take your castrated boar out and house with them temporarily because at that age they will still be observing what the adults eat, how they behave, and will feel more safe with him there.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.