Thanks
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

Redoing My Room!! Help?

So I've recently decided to redo my room as I am going to a new school this year and I'm honestly embarrassed of how my room looks... It's a small room to begin with, and my paint makes it look smaller.. It's purple on the walls and a slightly darker purple on the ceiling. I have a horrible butterfly "mural" painted on my wall from like 3 years ago. The lighting in my room is AWFUL, because I have one of those lamps that has five lightbulbs on it, each with a different color lampshade. I have purple curtains on my window and sheer black polka dotted curtains on my closet instead of doors. My bedding is worse! I have lime green sheets with a reversible orange, blue, green, pink, etc, "henna-like" pattern on one side and plain orange on the other. I have striped and zebra throw pillows that I alternated between my hammock (which is pink) and my bed, but now my hammock is stored in my closet. As you can tell, my room is a headache, an eyesore! Also the boy's cage is on the floor and makes me embarrassed of it when people come over because of how big it is.. Normal people don't have huge cages all over their room for 2 guinea pigs...

I want to paint my room light gray with lighter gray ceilings, but I'm not sure. We are also pulling up the disgusting carpet and painting the concrete some shade of dark gray:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floor.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	53030

My new color scheme will most likely be like a salmon pink, gold, and navy accents. I want simple, clean white bedding with those colors being on throw pillows like this:

Name:	bedding.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	53033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pillows2.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	53032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pillows1.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	53034

I am also getting this to put my clothes in because I am putting the boys' cage in my closet as a 1.5X5X2. That way when I have friends over I can close the curtains so their cage isn't the only thing my friends are seeing:

Name:	wardrobe.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	53037

I love the boys to death, and I feel ashamed that I am embarrassed of them, but high school is hard enough without being branded "a crazy guinea pig lady."

Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Re: Redoing My Room!! Help?

Never let anyone try to define you or change you. If you love your guinea pigs then you should be proud of that, not ashamed. There's too many sheep in today's society, we need more people to stand up for the few that are brave enough to be different.

3. "Thank you, LexiandLily, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    120 Rec'd/96 Posts
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    103 Post(s)

Alot of people have closet cages, but, your guinea pigs are just going to wheek their heads off when you come home from school. Why are you afraid of being the crazy guinea pig lady? I mean, its part of your life. I act how I want in front of my friends, and I act how I want in front of the most popular people in my school. And Im actually friends with some of the more popular people. :P I dont care. We dont care. Your friends wont care.

5. "Thank you, PiggieGuinea, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/21 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

I feel the same way about my pig's cage, the first time I got my big cage, my friend who also had guinea a pigs came over. She was dumbfounded, and said it was ridiculous that I had such a big cage and that I use fleece and spent money on beds and expensive food. I just laughed and said my pigs are happy and I love having them in my room and I spend money on them because they are basically my furry children. She keeps her pigs in a tiny petstore cage, so yeah. Just wait until she sees the bunny cage I'm getting this year!!!

7. "Thank you, CallieLovesPigs, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I totally agree - I'm 27 (which is probably ancient compared to many people on here haha) But I love crafts, I knit and cross stitch, the girls at work call me a Grandma because I'd rather stay in with my guinea pigs and knit than go out drinking, but I don't care what they think, it's my life and I'm happy. I have my own house and the middle of the living room is taken up by a big cage and a run attached the side, if people visit then they know I love my girls and they just have to deal with the lack of room, I'd rather have happy healthy guinea pigs, than loads of room on the off chance a friend or relative wants to pop in for a cuppa! :-D

9. "Thank you, LexiandLily, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

You shouldn't be ashamed of your guinea pigs if they really mean that much to you. It's just like someone loving their dog a lot... it also kind of makes me sad that you want to close the curtains on your pigs. I don't know, it just seems really sad to me. I think putting their cage in the closet would be a good idea, but does that not get them out of the way enough? And honestly, if your friends are really going to be mean to you about guinea pigs, do you think they're really great friends to have? I have had many friends in my life, yet I now don't have many at all because of things similar to this. I realized they didn't support me and what I like, instead wanted to change me. I'm not saying this is what is happening, but be aware and don't let anyone change you or let you love your pigs less.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner millsma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    78 Rec'd/35 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

I've taken to explaining my C&C cage as "limited free range". Most people just can't accept that they need so much space, yet they can accept the word free range. Don't know why, but it freaks them out less. But all my friends have accepted my huge pig cage as part of who I am.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

Look at some images of rooms of teens for ideas. https://www.google.com/search?q=teen...A42Y9QTP-4CgDw
    I love the armoire wardrobe. Does the closet have light? If not, you can get a battery powered LED light to install in the closet for when you have the curtain closed. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rite-Lite...9#BVRRWidgetID
    On that note, I would not use a door, it would close off the air flow too much.

For the floor, I hope you use non slip floor paint, there is various colors and if you ask, you may even be able to get it tinted to a color you like. That painted floor can get very slippery if you get it wet from a spill.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1006721...3#.UfKECm3AHiU
    http://www.insl-x.com/viewProd.asp?prodID=176

Last but not least, try not to worry about what your friends think or that your new friends may think. Very few will come out and defend what you do for your pets because they are worrying too. But remember those that make fun of it are more jealous over the fact your parents allow you to take proper care of your pets.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/35 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LexiandLily View Post
    I totally agree - I'm 27 (which is probably ancient compared to many people on here haha) But I love crafts, I knit and cross stitch, the girls at work call me a Grandma because I'd rather stay in with my guinea pigs and knit than go out drinking, but I don't care what they think, it's my life and I'm happy. I have my own house and the middle of the living room is taken up by a big cage and a run attached the side, if people visit then they know I love my girls and they just have to deal with the lack of room, I'd rather have happy healthy guinea pigs, than loads of room on the off chance a friend or relative wants to pop in for a cuppa! :-D
    Baha! I'm 23 and people call ME grandma! I "yarn" (knit, crochet, weave, spin, etc.) and so much rather do all of that than anything most 'kids' my age are doing. Got married last month and haven't had time to get my craft room organized but it needs a redo (currently everything shoved here n there).

So @LexiandLily, don't be ashamed of your love of craft!

Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Haha thanks @Lasinalia don't worry I'm certainly not ashamed. In fact I take photos of my knitting and send it to them just to wind them up

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/35 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Yesss that is awesome!! I sell most of my hats and post a pic to FB before. Most people just shake their heads! But I don't care. Do you think if I found organic yarn I could crochet hideyhouses for my piggerts?

Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Worth a try ain't it. If you've got the skills you may as well use them :-) if I could sew I would be making my own beds for my girls :-)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/35 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

I have heard a pretty emphatic "NO" on anything made of yarn. How sad. I guess my sewing skills will have to improve!

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    212 Rec'd/60 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LexiandLily View Post
    Never let anyone try to define you or change you. If you love your guinea pigs then you should be proud of that, not ashamed. There's too many sheep in today's society, we need more people to stand up for the few that are brave enough to be different.
    True, so many sheeple's, be unique and proud

Thanks
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

Name:	camroom.PNG 
Views:	72 
Size:	456.0 KB 
ID:	54200UPDATES!! Went to ikea today and got some things! (Curtains, a rug, a light, and sheets for when i get my new Queen sized bed!) I made this in PowerPoint so its not very good but it's a reallY good representation of my room right now! Getting my bedframe tomorrow from my cousin (housed in her garage) and a queen mattress this weekend. i'm going to upholster the bed frame so I'm super excited! Piggies have been in the closet cage for nearly 2 weeks now with no problems. They love it! More updates to come as they get completed!!

User Tag List