Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Can you kiss guinea pigs?

GatsbyandOllie

Cavy Slave
I've read in multiple books and online that you shouldn't kiss guinea pigs? I'm wondering if that was true? Is there just a specific place not to kiss them? Like near their face on their noses or something?I kiss my piggies often when I'm giving them lap time. Just curious on what you all think.Thanks! :)

Schmidgen

Cavy Slave
Well I can't really answer your question, but I kiss my piggies on the top of the head all the time. Squeaker will even give me what I call a piggie kiss back, he touch's his nose to mine.

I am curious to know if this is something I shouldn't be doing though. I never really thought that it could be a bad thing. I do know they can catch a cold from me if I am sick, but I limit my contact w/ them when I am (mostly cage cleaning), and don't share any kisses until I am all better.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Do you really want to kiss anything on the mouth that eats its own poop?

GatsbyandOllie

Cavy Slave
@bpatters I actually don't kiss my piggies there solely for that reason, lol. It disgusts me even though I realize that it is necessary.

GatsbyandOllie

Cavy Slave
@bpatters I actually don't kiss my piggies there solely for that reason, lol. It disgusts me even though I realize that it is necessary.

piggypuppylove

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I kiss my dogs (nothing like a basset hound kiss lol) and I kiss my bunny on the top of the head, but if I kiss my piggies I break out in hives
:( they only break me out on my face for some reason. I think that if you want to kiss your guinea pig, it will not hurt anyone, but the top of the head is probably the best spot. lol

Piggy_

Cavy Slave
@bpatters They eat their own poop then lick their fur, so by that reasoning there is also poop-saliva all over their body! :p I kiss one of my guinea pigs on her bald patch behind her ear. But then, I'm not too worried about the poop thing. It's just compressed grass, hay, and veges with a bit of extra nitrogen and a hint of gut bacteria after all. But I have read some bacterial infections in humans that present as colds can be passed to guinea pigs where they present as a URI. Not sure if there is any truth in that. Kissing is a natural way for humans to express affection though, and part of developing the bond with our pets. I know ladies who let their dogs lick their face and mouth (though I find it quite gross to watch, haha)!

Magewrite

Cavy Slave
I kiss my girls all the time, on their sides, head, noses, wherever. I don't do it when I'm not feeling well or something, just to make sure I don't pass it on, but I've never had a problem in my own health from giving them kisses.

PrincessPiggy

Cavy Slave
I've never been able to bring myself to kiss my piggies, even though they're adorable (and I do give them hugs :)). Putting my face near them or most other animals makes me nervous about getting an eye infection or something wonderful like that.
I do kiss my little dog on the top of his head, but considering some of the things I've caught him rolling in out in the yard (dead animals, mystery sludge), maybe that's not such a good idea, either... :sick:

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I kiss my piggies all the time, never on the mouth though! They give kisses right back to me. :)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Do you really want to kiss anything on the mouth that eats its own poop?

LOL....I have been letting my dog eat off my forks or spoons for years. All my dogs actually over the years. Yeah I have kissed huggle on the nose/mouth.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.