Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy possibly pregnant young pig

melaniem

Cavy Slave
I got two guineas a month ago, and one was housed with a male for a couple weeks. I was wondering what typical weight gain was for young pigs, and what typical weight gain was for pregnant pigs. I feed them twice a day and fill their hay rack about 2/3 times a week. I give them about an inch of carrot (each) a day.
The one I think is pregnant has gone from 312 grams (11 oz) on July 1 to 478 grams (1 pound .8 oz).
My other pig went from 248 grams (12.3 oz) to 452 grams (15.9 oz).
The second one was underweight when I got her, so she's eaten a ton. I'm just not sure about the first.
Any responses are appreciated

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're gaining at about the same rate -- right at a pound each. I'd continue to weigh them on a regular schedule, at the same time of day (preferably before breakfasts), and see how they continue to gain. By six weeks, you should be able to tell if one is pregnant.

I don't know how much hay you're giving them at a time, but they need hay ALL the time, and lots of it. That's what keeps their teeth ground down, and protects your pocketbook from expensive dental bills. They also need a variety of vegetables, with a heavy concentration of leafy greens. They need unlimited pellets if they're under six months old, but only 1/8 cup each if they're older than that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.