Thread: EXTREMLY CONFUSED! Guinea pig scratching a lot but no signs of parasites????

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Question EXTREMLY CONFUSED! Guinea pig scratching a lot but no signs of parasites????

So here the scoop...my guinea pig has been scratching a ton and I checked up on him and searched through his fur. There was nothing. I was going to go to the vet when all of a sudden (the next day) the scratching stopped. I kept an I on him and noticed the scrathcing continued once again. I checked his fur once more and noticed tiny tiny little black dots. His fur seemed fine (no blood flow, scabs, or hair loss...etc.) What is this!!?? Please help I am sooo confused!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    340 Rec'd/226 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    234 Post(s)

Re: EXTREMLY CONFUSED! Guinea pig scratching a lot but no signs of parasites????

He probably has mites. You can't see them, because they are microscopic. You can treat him with Ivermectin, or take him to the vet. If you do take him to the vet, don't let them do a skin scraping, 50% of the time they are falsely accurate. Does he have a friend, mites are contagious and guinea pigs need a pal.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Re: EXTREMLY CONFUSED! Guinea pig scratching a lot but no signs of parasites????

unfortunately he does not have a buddy :( so he could have obtained mites from my dog...but i also wonder if it could be skin irritation...because i could have bathed him too often or maybe i didn't clean his fleece thoroughly enough..im still highly confused. I want to take him to the vet but my mom said no until it get serious..WHAT?! I can't believe they won't let me. She said "it's not necessary until we know what it is causing the itching" My parents even laughed when i told them it was a strong concern. :'(

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,403 Rec'd/5,906 Posts
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3991 Post(s)

Mites, undoubtedly. You can treat it yourself with ivermectin, or take him to a vet. It's cheaper to do yourself.

Order ivermectin and syringes from www.tlpmarketplace.com, and see http://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html for instructions. Post back here if you have questions after you get the ivermectin.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Will this product work @bpatters 8 in 1 Small Animal Flea and Tick Spray? And if it doesn't how do I get ivermectin?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,403 Rec'd/5,906 Posts
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3991 Post(s)

No, it won't work. You don't want a flea and tick spray for guinea pigs.

Did you read my previous post? #4 in this thread? I gave you a link to order both ivermectin and the syringes. It's the easiest kind of ivermectin to give (you want the .5% pour-on kind).

Thanks
    Thanks
    53 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

If you have a dog, don't forget there's a possibility your guinea pig has caught fleas, and the black spots could be flea dirt (though mites is a likely and more serious diagnosis, so follow the instructions of bpatters first). If treating with ivermectin isn't effective, you may need to visit the vet to obtain Revolution treatments for your guinea pig :)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

@bpatters i found this on amazon... will this do the job i think im ordering it today

User Tag List