Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Cage

What happens if a guinea pigs cage is too small?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

Re: Cage

The same thing that happens to humans stuck in the same small room day after day. They fail to thrive. Loss of muscle tone from lack of exercise, bored with life. If you have more than one, fighting because there is no personal space. Think of living in your bedroom except maybe one hour a day( your floor time).

Thanks
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lunarminx View Post
    The same thing that happens to humans stuck in the same small room day after day. They fail to thrive. Loss of muscle tone from lack of exercise, bored with life. If you have more than one, fighting because there is no personal space. Think of living in your bedroom except maybe one hour a day( your floor time).
    I would picture it more as a large closet or bathroom really. Like, some of these PS cages are literally so small they can't move in them. sad.

Thanks
    Thanks
    516 Rec'd/374 Posts
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)

It means a lot more cleaning for you, they dirty their cages pretty fast. The good thing is for about the same price of a PS cage, you can get a lot bigger of an alternative cage.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I know this makes me sound like a bad owner but somebody recently gave me a guinea pig and I know nothing about them. I read online they have to be in a quiet room? But I have no space really for a huge cc cage to be in a room. I thought about putting it in my living room but I don't know if it will be too noisy for it. My room is sorta small but it gets hot in there really fast. So is it ok if I put the cage in a corner of my living room?

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Koalanisha View Post
    I know this makes me sound like a bad owner but somebody recently gave me a guinea pig and I know nothing about them. I read online they have to be in a quiet room? But I have no space really for a huge cc cage to be in a room. I thought about putting it in my living room but I don't know if it will be too noisy for it. My room is sorta small but it gets hot in there really fast. So is it ok if I put the cage in a corner of my living room?
    It depends on the guinea pig. Is he/she very tame, or is she very timid. If you have little kids in your house, it might be a better idea not too. But I think it would be fine. Maybe not for a very shy timid piggy though.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    867 Rec'd/700 Posts
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    400 Post(s)

I think it's better to have your guinea pigs in a more active room, actually. Mine stay in the center of my house's activity and always have, and I think they're more sociable for it. If pigs are kept in a place that's always quiet, they're not going to get used to people.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Melissa123's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    318 Rec'd/234 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quoted
    243 Post(s)

I have a piggy room for most of my piggies. I also have a 3x5 cage in my living room and the piggies love being out here. I wish my living room was larger as I would bring everyone out here!
    The get use to the TV noise and actually thrive being out here with me. They always come over to greet me and will start a conversions.

For years I thought they would hate it out here in the living room but I was SO wrong. Try it- you will see your pig become more social and less fearful of you. Also, not sure if you said you had one or two pigs but they really need a cage mate (same sex!). This will bring your piggy out of their shell so much.

With cages, bigger is always better.
    Melissa

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/20 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Koalanisha View Post
    The fact that you came to this site for help makes you a better owner than many!! I think a living room is a great place for piggies as long as there aren't screaming children or wild parties. Especially since your pig is along, the living room would be a good place because it would be around people more often. I bet if you think about it though, you can at least make a 2x2 or 2x3 c&c cage, which is probably a lot better than the store bought cage!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

Your pigs get use to the household noises. If they are in a quiet room, that means they get little to no interaction, which isn't doing them any good because they aren't going to get use to you and that can take forever as is.

User Tag List