Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Talking The smallest step

Makes the biggest impact. Our new boar, whom we have named Hamm, has rarely if ever been handled. He jumps at the slightest movement and squeals at any sound above a whisper. We currently have him in our spare bedroom since its never used, even by the kids. This morning when I went in to refill his hay, water and pellets, he didnt run for his life. He jut sat there and watched me throughout the whole process. When I was done I decided to try to pet him (big step as hes already bit me 3 times). I moved slowly and put my hand near his face so he could see my intent and he let me pet him!! It was a huge weight off my shoulders because i was afraid he was going to be a wild pig because of his start in life but he has shown me that with a bit of patience and love anything is possible.

2. "Thank you, jsszrct7, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner MrsSuzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    47 Rec'd/26 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Awww, that's so lovely to hear

Thanks
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

Re: The smallest step

My Winnie was the same way when i got him in December. The foster lady from the rescue told us he was never handled and only fed when thought of. She had bathed him and cut his nails but he was still a wreck. His nails were so long that, even now, after having his nails cut to an approproiate length, his feet are almost sideways. They just grew like that and he walks on the sides of his front feet. He was soooo skittish, but now he wheeks and popcorns whenever I walk into the room or he hears the fridge door open! Hamm will get better and better with you, and one day when you guys are snuggling and he is kissing your chin you'll look back and think, "Remember when he wouldn't let me touch him? He's a totally different piggy now!" Good luck to you and Mr. Hamm!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TacoBellWinnieP View Post
    My Winnie was the same way when i got him in December. The foster lady from the rescue told us he was never handled and only fed when thought of. She had bathed him and cut his nails but he was still a wreck. His nails were so long that, even now, after having his nails cut to an approproiate length, his feet are almost sideways. They just grew like that and he walks on the sides of his front feet. He was soooo skittish, but now he wheeks and popcorns whenever I walk into the room or he hears the fridge door open! Hamm will get better and better with you, and one day when you guys are snuggling and he is kissing your chin you'll look back and think, "Remember when he wouldn't let me touch him? He's a totally different piggy now!" Good luck to you and Mr. Hamm!
    thanks. He has yet to let me pick him up o i haven't been able to give him a much needed bath and nail trim but so very excited that hes actually letting me touch him now. I've also figured out that he has never seen hay or veggies so he's having to adjust to those as well.

Thanks
    Thanks
    41 Rec'd/35 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

So cute!! When I got Nikolai he was the same. Now he runs to the grids whenever he sees me and let's me hand feed him and pet him.

Thanks
    Thanks
    58 Rec'd/22 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Awww YAY! Isn't that such an amazing moment?? It took my pigs 1 yr to get comfortable with me. They are uber cuddly now and let me pet them *most* times in their cage (unless they are eating their veggies, in which case it's "leave me be ma, I'm busy!")

Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

It's amazing what a little acceptance by these little piggies can do for your heart. You'll probably find that those small steps will lead to bigger steps and before you know it you'll be snuggled up together on the couch

User Tag List