Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding What would you suggest?

Elyzian

Cavy Slave
I've never owned a Guinea Pig before.. but I'm in the process of preparing myself for getting 2 boys (I'm going to name them Toby & Cosmo)... I was thinking of having Hysorb Wood Shavings over a double layer of newspaper as bedding... but I have no idea how to spot clean it... the last pet I owned that had bedding was a mouse, and I used to just completely replace the bedding on weekends because she didnt make much mess... so any suggestions how I would spot clean it? or any ideas for other bedding & cleaning methods?

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Considering that for 2 boys you'll need a cage with at least 13 sq ft (more is better), fleece would definitely be the way to go. Disposable bedding for a cage that big would cost a lot of money, and fleece is re-usable. :)

Elyzian

Cavy Slave
Thanks... I'll use fleece.. it'd definitely make my parents happy not having wood shavings everywhere... and a 2 by 5 grid C & C cage would be big enough for them right?

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Thanks... I'll use fleece.. it'd definitely make my parents happy not having wood shavings everywhere... and a 2 by 5 grid C & C cage would be big enough for them right?

Yup that would be the minimum for two males. My two males live in a 2x5 and get along pretty well. :)
Edit: Some males will need more room than that to sort out dominance issues, but it all really just depends on your piggies.

Elyzian

Cavy Slave
If my piggies need more space, I'll buy more grids online.. I cant buy the grids in shops here, they stopped selling them... though its costing $85 for 20 grids

KLSGPC

Cavy Slave
If my piggies need more space, I'll buy more grids online.. I cant buy the grids in shops here, they stopped selling them... though its costing $85 for 20 grids
Do you have anything like Bed, Bath & Beyond in Australia? I just picked up 16-20 grids, can't remember the exact number, for about $20 USD.

Elyzian

Cavy Slave
Nope, the nearest bed bath and beyond is in New Zealand

KLSGPC

Cavy Slave
Nope, the nearest bed bath and beyond is in New Zealand
Unless you have a Linen & Things or something similar maybe an office supply store that has storage items would have wire grids for cubes. Hopefully you can find them for less than $85/20 grids. Good luck.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
@Elyzian I've heard that Bunnings carries Rubbermaid storage cubes (just make sure they're 9 squares by 9 squares).

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
Fleece is definitely the best choice! Plus you can have fun picking out patterns! Just be sure to wash and dry it 3x (wash/dry, wash/dry, wash/dry) with mild detergent and a splash of white vinegar...do NOT use dryer sheets as the fabric softner will not allow the cloth to wick...which is what you want fleece to do. Use an old towel under it and a puppy pad or adult pad on the bottom. If you also have a litter box where they can eat and do their business at the same time, you may be able to forego having to wash the towels or change the pads for at least two weeks. Have fun! Post Pix when you get them!!!! We love to see piggy pix!

Elyzian

Cavy Slave
@Aleks I'll check it out.. thanks :)

@NursePiggy I'll definitely post pics... It might take a couple months for me to get them though because nobody in my area breeds guinea pigs, and the RSPCA & pet rescues near me dont have any either... a pet shop is going to be my absolute last resort once I have everything else I need for the piggies.

ThePigSlave

Cavy Slave
Buying fleece is fun! You can use it to match the colors of the room the cage is in! My fleece is a black/white scroll pattern, looks amazing against my teal/turquoise walls :)

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If you don't end up using fleece the best way I found to spot clean bedding is I use a little plastic shovel from a kids beach kit and just scoop out the soiled areas into bags and throw in the trash, then replace the bedding. I do not recommend lining with newspaper, the bedding is fine right on the cage bottom. A lot of people love fleece and it works great for some, but it's certainly not for everyone, so if you don't go that route that's the easiest way to spot clean traditional bedding (wood chips or paper based beddings) :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.