Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions pregnant guinea pig

Hamish

Cavy Slave
I need a bit of advice. I purchased a guinea pig about 4 weeks ago and can feel and see babies moving. Any advice anyone as I have only ever experienced this one time before and that was nearly 20 years ago.

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
First, you need to baby proof your cage and supplement alfalfa hay with your current hay or switch to alfalfa pellets. To baby proof your cage, cover up any openings (such as gaps between bars) with cardboard, coroplast; any thick material will do. This will stop any pups escaping. I would also make sure she has plenty of veggies, water and hay. This is why the forum is against pet stores - many pigs are bought ill, pregnant or missexed.
About two days before delivery, you will hear the pups teeth gnashing from the mother. Another way of knowing she will deliver soon is to feel the pelvic bone; it will separate a few days before the cavy gives birth.
Hopefully there's no complications during the birth. I would have an exotics vet number on hand if anything should go wrong.
More information: https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
If someone tells you to seperate from females, don''t. It will just break the pregnant females heart. Do not hold her, pick her up, or force her to do anything. Keep her in the cage when you clean it.

Whispers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I need a bit of advice. I purchased a guinea pig about 4 weeks ago and can feel and see babies moving. Any advice anyone as I have only ever experienced this one time before and that was nearly 20 years ago.

Hi Jen, I find this hard to believe as your advertisement below clearly states you're a registered breeder.
I think it's incredibly sad that you've decided to sell Hamish simply to make room for more stock.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hig...-up-guinea-pig-long-haired-sheltie/1023803814

Hamish

Cavy Slave
Wow your a bit rude..... Yes I registered as a breeder last month as I recently became a member of Cavy West in Perth WA. Selling Hamish was a very hard decision for me and your message is hurtful. Florence the Rex guinea pig was purchased 4 weeks ago from gumtree and yes I did plan to breed her but certainly not at 6 weeks old. The stock I am referring to is show stock and I do not agree with back yard breeders. My guinea pigs are all loved and cared for really well. I do not have anything against responsible breeders. Breeding is a part of the cycle of life. If no one bred we would not have any guinea pigs to love. Once again please don't judge me and make assumptions about me. My message is genuine this is my first experience having a pregnant sow and just thought this sight would be the best place for advice.

Whispers

Cavy Slave
I wasn't making assumptions, you've written in the ad that you're making room for more stock. I don't doubt that they would be well cared for and loved but you purchased Hamish to bring him into your life but then simply sell him on a few weeks later after you've put him in the shows? I actually rang the vet the day you bought him as I was going to take him home but i was too late. I was so happy when I saw you join this forum and then knew that he had gone to a good home. My main point here is that pets aren't just a novelty, what makes his replacement so much better that you would give him up? Is it all just part of a showing/breeding plan that he doesn't fit into? This site is the best I have seen on the Internet and its full of great information and advise. Before I researched into breeding guinea pigs I thought it would be so cute to breed them and have a litter of babies, but as soon as I read the risks involved and how 1 in 4 have complications I would never ever breed. To me nothing's worth putting their lives at risk.

Hamish

Cavy Slave
To be honest I can understand what you are saying. I will probably regret selling Hamish but felt if I could find him a loving home I could reluctantly part with him. I still have 3 pet guinea pigs which I have no plans to sell or breed. I 100% do not agree with breeders that just breed and sell in bulk to make money. I went to my first show in June and felt it was wonderful seeing all these different breeds of guinea pigs. Some of the Cavy West members are vets which should say something good about showing. Most breeders that breed for show seem to disagree with back yard breeders and I honestly did not think breeding for show would be looked upon so negatively by some people. I actually disagree with some of the people that state they are rescue shelters, I know some are genuine but I have my doubts on others. I heard a lady in Perth was taking in free guinea pigs and selling for $40 each surely this is just for profit.

Hamish

Cavy Slave
You say there is a 1 in 4 risk so 25% risk of complications. In the wild guinea pigs would reproduce and I think its important some people are letting them breed. Its no different from any other species reproducing. If it was so bad why do we have Vets as breeders at our club. All a bit confusing for me.

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
If no one bred we would not have any guinea pigs to love.
Even if no-one bred them anymore, guinea pigs would still be around from accidental pregnancies and missexing.

I'm sure you already know - this forum is anti-breeding.

Whispers

Cavy Slave
Just because someone's a vet doesn't guarantee them to make good decisions it just means they should be educated enough to know the right decision. Breeding just to win at shows is wrong. They're not little fluffy toys we can just play games with then throw away the ones we don't want. I can understand that of course reproduction needs to happen somewhere along the line but it shouldn't be done by people who only do it to try and get the perfect show pig.

Hamish

Cavy Slave
I am going to leave this forum.... I am not liking the people on here. You all need to grow up.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I think it is a good idea to leave. I'm not normally one to be rude either, but you just sound like a hypocrite. You love your pets, but yet you sold it for no better reason than to make room for another pig? Animals are not disposable. You make a lifelong commitment to them. To acquire animals and then turn around and sell them, or breed them for a profit IS NOT LOVING YOUR PET. A 1 in 4 chance for complications is enough to make most moral people reconsider. That being said, this post just proves that you should not breed. If you have to ask what to do for a pregnant sow, then you shouldn't be breeding. That is something any RESPONSIBLE owner would know beforehand.

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
I agree with @aspecht I have a pregnant sow, and it isn't from a purposeful breeder for the "Perfect Show Pig". In fact, every pig to me is a perfect show pig. And your throwing one away. How could you do that?

Someone move this into the kitchen because this is going to heat up fast. :mad:

Whispers

Cavy Slave
I don't think it's a good idea to leave as it really sounds like you need to learn a lot more about guinea pigs especially seeing as you have babies on the way. I'm not trying to be mean but in the end its the guinea pigs that are the ones that loose in the end. They're the ones that have to go through the pains of reproducing and I really hope you're prepared to pay for the vet bills once complications arise.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.