Thanks
    Thanks
    120 Rec'd/96 Posts
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    103 Post(s)

Question Fleece! But what about hair?

My mom says I can switch to fleece finally. But, I have to have almost no hair on it if I want to use the family washing machine. How do you get the hair off? I have been brushing it off with my little hand held broom but it isnt enough. Do those rubber brushes work very well? Any cheap ideas?

Thanks
    Thanks
    61 Rec'd/47 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Re: Fleece! But what about hair?

You could use lint brushes. They are at dollar stores.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    340 Rec'd/226 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    234 Post(s)
    Or a vacuum hose, that's what u use and it works fairly well. Although the lint roller is the biggest lifesaver ever.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    81 Rec'd/51 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

I first vacuum the fleece and then I use a rubber brush, it gets a lot of hair off, but not all. I always do piggie laundry last so the washing machine can dry out and I vacuum it out before doing my laundry again.
    You can try and stick all the piggie stuff in a washing bag (or maybe even a pillow casing) make sure it is tied close and wash it in that, it should keep the hair mostly contained to the bag.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    543 Rec'd/413 Posts
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)

I have a strong vacuum so I get most of it. I vacuum her fleece flippers daily so there is no build up of hair, dust, particles, etc. That helps.

This is bad but this is the only reason why I like not owning my own w/d..

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

You should invest in a hand-held vacuum for daily hygiene. Be sure to vacuum the fleece before removing it for laundry. I then take my liners and cage accessories outside and shake them well, and then brush them with the Fur-Be-Gone brush or some similar "rubber" brush. Just as an aside, the FBG brush is not good for using directly on the piggies.......just on the fleece.

The brush is available on Amazon, but you can probably find it in the cat section of many pet stores:

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Buddies-PB.../dp/B0006346TM

Even though I don't find an issue with left-over hair in the washer, I don't recommend washing a load of dark clothes immediately after the piggy items. Either wash towels, or run just a quick rinse and drain cycle to remove any lingering hair. If you family has an issue with "piggy poop" being in the washer, put a small amount of bleach in that short rinse cycle

I don't recommend putting the fleece in a bag. The water needs to get in all the crevices of the liners to clean them and get rid of hair. Use a slightly larger water level for this.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    120 Rec'd/96 Posts
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    103 Post(s)

@spy9doc I have a hand mitt similar to that Fur-Be-Gone brush, I will try that. Im also going to go to the dollar tree and pick up like 8 lint rollers .
    @SardonicSmile Yea, I get all the hair out of the washer with a wet washcloth.
    @YourSoJelly I dont have enough money for one. I use the family one, but its pretty cruddy

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    340 Rec'd/226 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    234 Post(s)

@PiggieGuinea, mine is the deffinition of crappy! Go to a thrift tore, or get some cheapo vacuum with a hose.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    120 Rec'd/96 Posts
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    103 Post(s)

I have a Shark, I can use that AFTER I sweep up poos because I broke the other one when it got clogged with poos Whoops. :P

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

@SardonicSmile - does vacuuming out the washing machine help with removing the left over hair? I used a handy vac, that was great at removing hair, but now it doesnt work very well and i find that i get a lot of hair all over my clothes. I am thinking about washing my fleece liners/cuddle cups/ potty pads in pillow cases to reduce the amount of hair in my washing machine.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    120 Rec'd/96 Posts
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    103 Post(s)

Im going to get like 6 lint rollers and some candy at Dollar Tree.LOL. Or maybe 5 lint rollers and 3 canies :P

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    81 Rec'd/51 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PhinniePig View Post
    @SardonicSmile - does vacuuming out the washing machine help with removing the left over hair? I used a handy vac, that was great at removing hair, but now it doesnt work very well and i find that i get a lot of hair all over my clothes. I am thinking about washing my fleece liners/cuddle cups/ potty pads in pillow cases to reduce the amount of hair in my washing machine.
    I vacuum the washing machine because running an empty cycle just to get hair out is a waste of water and electricity. Most hairs that I find on my clothes are my own, so it works for me. I do have a frontloader though, not sure if that makes a difference.
    (Sometimes I wonder if I should put the pig laundry in the dryer before washing it, that should help get rid of more hair, because after the laundry there is still a lot of hair that gets trapped in the dryer's lint trap.)

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YourSoJelly View Post
    get some cheapo vacuum with a hose.
    You'll be sorry if you do this....it simply won't work well and be a waste of money.

The problem with a hand vac for most people is that they don't empty it after each use. Also, dismantle it once a week and wash the parts (I do this when I do my weekly cage cleaning). This keeps it from clogging up with debris and building up an odor.

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

I'll give the vacuuming a try. maybe it will help. I always air dry my liners, I find that it really helps with eliminating the wet piggy smell.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/312 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

I highly recommend vacuums. They help so much with getting rid of hair, especially if you invest in a decent quality one that will last a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by SardonicSmile View Post
    (Sometimes I wonder if I should put the pig laundry in the dryer before washing it, that should help get rid of more hair, because after the laundry there is still a lot of hair that gets trapped in the dryer's lint trap.)
    I have front-loaders too, and I read in the manual that putting dirty things in the dryer can cause grease spots to show up on your own clean clothes when you dry them. Just an FYI.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    81 Rec'd/51 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sdpiggylvr View Post
    I highly recommend vacuums. They help so much with getting rid of hair, especially if you invest in a decent quality one that will last a long time.

I have front-loaders too, and I read in the manual that putting dirty things in the dryer can cause grease spots to show up on your own clean clothes when you dry them. Just an FYI.
    No prewash drying then!

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    120 Rec'd/96 Posts
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    103 Post(s)

I got 3 50 sheet lint rollers, 2 1/8 cup scoops, and 4 chocolate bars for 9 bucks I will be set for a few weeks. Once I clean out Lulu and Loopsie I want to reintroduce Flower to Loopsie and Lulu because she hasn't been teeth chattering and has been out playing with them for floor time everyday. Then I can use the petstore cage for temporary housing for the boy(s) babies. Then have 1 cage on fleece forever hopefully and one on bedding for 7-8 weeks until the boys can go to their homes. Super excited to get the "herd" together again.

User Tag List