Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Hey question about my C&C cage I bought 2x4

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave Pink Portrait's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 05, 2013
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    15
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/5 Posts

    Question Hey question about my C&C cage I bought 2x4

    So as some of you may know my abandoned/rescue piggy is preggo. Vet thinks he feels two babies. So this was one of those cases where I had to go out and buy a cage right away. She stayed overnight in a cat crate.

    I bought this C&C cage for her 2x4 I'm not transferring her to it since she's so close to having her pups and think it would stress her.
    So here is my actual question if I have a boy or 2 boys for that matter would it be possible to split the cage and have them be comfortable? If not what would be your suggestion?

  2. #2
    Cavy Slave jubespiggies's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 27, 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Thanks
    30
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/17 Posts

    Re: Hey question about my C&C cage I bought 2x4

    Assuming that you're going to keeping all of them if there are only 2 male pups, a 2x2 cage is definately not enough. Boars especially need pretty big cages, bigger than the standard cage size for 2 guinea pigs, which is a 2x4. If there are 2 male pups, you could try keeping the pups in the 2x4 and the mother in a seperate cage near them once they have weaned. Did you just buy enough grids and coroplast for just a 2x4, or did you have extra? The seperate cage can be built out of grids or coroplast, or you could use a smaller pet store cage, but only as a temporary solution.
    If all pups are female, a 2x4 is still not big enough, but should be fine as a temporary solution, seeing as they're still babies. If you do have one male baby, you could neuteur him and still keep a herd.
    The only case that a 2x4 is enough as a permanent solution is if there is only one pup, and the mother and the pup can stay together. But good luck with your cage situation anyway!

  3. #3
    Cavy Slave Pink Portrait's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 05, 2013
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    15
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/5 Posts

    Re: Hey question about my C&C cage I bought 2x4

    Quote Originally Posted by jubespiggies View Post
    Assuming that you're going to keeping all of them if there are only 2 male pups, a 2x2 cage is definately not enough. Boars especially need pretty big cages, bigger than the standard cage size for 2 guinea pigs, which is a 2x4. If there are 2 male pups, you could try keeping the pups in the 2x4 and the mother in a seperate cage near them once they have weaned. Did you just buy enough grids and coroplast for just a 2x4, or did you have extra? The seperate cage can be built out of grids or coroplast, or you could use a smaller pet store cage, but only as a temporary solution.
    If all pups are female, a 2x4 is still not big enough, but should be fine as a temporary solution, seeing as they're still babies. If you do have one male baby, you could neuteur him and still keep a herd.
    The only case that a 2x4 is enough as a permanent solution is if there is only one pup, and the mother and the pup can stay together. But good luck with your cage situation anyway!
    Whatever comes with this one. http://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/c...e#.UeC-3sV0mbt
    Not alot of floor space in my room. So another cage would probably have to go on top.
    Is it possible to find some grids at places like kmart and wallmart? I heard about some people finding them there.

  4. #4
    Cavy Slave Pink Portrait's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 05, 2013
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    15
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/5 Posts

    Re: Hey question about my C&C cage I bought 2x4

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePigAlchemist View Post
    I found grids pretty easily at Kmart, but never at Walmart.
    this them?

  5. #5
    Cavy Slave jubespiggies's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 27, 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Thanks
    30
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/17 Posts

    Re: Hey question about my C&C cage I bought 2x4

    I'm not too sure where you can find grids in America cos I live in Australia, but I know that Kmart & Wallmart stock them. There are some Kmart & Target grids where the grid holes are too big. This link has some suggestions for places you can find grids: http://www.guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm For the upper level, you need additional coroplast, which you can buy from a sign shop or you could use a shower curtain, but that's mainly temporary. You'll also need either wooden supports or alot of cable ties to hold the upper levels, though with cable ties, they could still sag in the middle. Try browsing through the cages section in this forum if you need some extra pictures/ideas.

  6. #6
    Cavy Slave jubespiggies's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 27, 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Thanks
    30
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/17 Posts

    Re: Hey question about my C&C cage I bought 2x4

    @Pink Portrait Yup, those grids are safe Good luck with building your cage!

  7. #7
    Cavy Slave Pink Portrait's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 05, 2013
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    15
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/5 Posts

    Re: Hey question about my C&C cage I bought 2x4

    Quote Originally Posted by jubespiggies View Post
    @Pink Portrait Yup, those grids are safe Good luck with building your cage!
    yay!

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePigAlchemist View Post
    Yeah, the thumbnail's definitely the right grids. Just to be safe, I found them in-store and discreetly opened the box to count the holes before buying. As far as I know, all the Kmart ones are safe though.
    Exactly what I was thinking

  8. #8
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    May 10, 2013
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    280
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Thanks
    90
    Thanks
    35 Rec'd/26 Posts

    Re: Hey question about my C&C cage I bought 2x4

    Actually these are the better deal and there the safe ones. http://m.kmart.com/productdetails.do...threshold=59.0

  9. #9
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jun 01, 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    70
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Hey question about my C&C cage I bought 2x4

    Is there any way you could neuter the boy/boys? Are you keeping both no matter what gender?

  10. #10
    Cavy Slave Pink Portrait's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 05, 2013
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    15
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/5 Posts

    Re: Hey question about my C&C cage I bought 2x4

    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit_Lover View Post
    Actually these are the better deal and there the safe ones. http://m.kmart.com/productdetails.do...threshold=59.0
    Reviving this thread for a second because I got two packages of those for 18.99 each.

  11. #11
    Cavy Slave PhinniePig's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 26, 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Thanks
    84
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/12 Posts

    Re: Hey question about my C&C cage I bought 2x4

    I also just bought a pack of the kmart ones for 18.99.

  12. #12
    Cavy Slave gertieshmertz's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 11, 2013
    Location
    KCMO
    Posts
    158
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Thanks
    8
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/16 Posts

    Re: Hey question about my C&C cage I bought 2x4

    Geez you guys got better deals than me. I got my pack at kmart for $22.99. I hate Missouri

  13. #13
    Cavy Slave Pink Portrait's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 05, 2013
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    15
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/5 Posts

    Re: Hey question about my C&C cage I bought 2x4

    Quote Originally Posted by PhinniePig View Post
    I also just bought a pack of the kmart ones for 18.99.
    Yay! I'm so excited/relieved.
    Quote Originally Posted by gertieshmertz View Post
    Geez you guys got better deals than me. I got my pack at kmart for $22.99. I hate Missouri
    Well, someone mentioned they were on sale and someone linked to this specific one that was 18.99 so I figured I best strike while the iron is hot.

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •