Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites Lice! HELP!

Anythingforcavy

Cavy Slave
Hi Everyone! Very excited today since i recently purchased 10 hearty lb. of fresh Standlee Timothy hay from the internet! I'm waiting for it to come now. Anyway, since I began noticing the badness of Kaytee, I will be purchasing there always. Doubts and Warnings? Anyway, I have recently noticed my little piggy itching. I checked his hair and, yes, I found lice. Are there any online bought products that would help with that? I'm not saying I'm not taking him for a vet check, but I would like some ideas now. Actually, because I panicked so much, I bought some Ultra Care Mite and Lice Bird treatment and so far it's gone. I took a toothbrush and sprayed the stuff on the brush then went through his top coat while he ate. Then I took a cucumber, got him on his hind legs and sprayed hios bottom twice. I threw away the cucumber and gave him a new one. The next day it's gone!!! Should I do it again today? Lastly, how should I disinfect the cage? At the moment he has a towel bottom and plastic bottom cage. I was afraid of spraying the towel since there could be a chance he would bite it and... Answers??

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm not a big fan of things that get sprayed on guinea pigs, even if they're applied with a toothbrush. And Ultra Care Mite and Lice Bird is formulated for birds, which don't lick themselves.

Ivermectin is a safer bet, or Revolution. You can treat yourself with ivermectin if you choose, but Revolution will require a vet visit, I believe.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I used Revolution to treat Sheldon's lice. It worked very quickly and I was able to give him a bath the next day to wash the dead lice out of his long locks. BP is correct, it does require a prescription. Two treatments took care of Shell's problem. I wouldn't use spray on treatments, especially if it's marketed towards a different species.

Anythingforcavy

Cavy Slave
Ojh I mean Ivormectin

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.