Thread: It's never ending with these boys...

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Agrimony's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    208 Rec'd/157 Posts
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

It's never ending with these boys...

Bird went to the vet today for the check up on his eye and it was great, totally healed, they didn't even charge me for coming in.

But tonight I noticed Pickle is peeing blood and obviously in a lot of pain. My regular vet is gone the rest of the week but he has to go in so ill bring him somewhere tomorrow. I hope this is just a uti and not stones but with my luck I'm not holding my breath.

Honestly, I love my pigs, but if I knew how much these guys would cost me, I never would have gotten them. I'm beyond frustrated.

Thanks
    Thanks
    208 Rec'd/157 Posts
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

Re: It's never ending with these boys...

So I think he may have passed the stone on his own. I got up early this morning to check on him and he was back to his usual self, and he was no longer struggling to urinate, and his urine was no longer red. I talked to the vet over the phone and I am going to keep an eye on him. I picked up some white bedding and some urinary support tabs. Hopefully he is fine from here on out but if it comes back we'll be going to the vet. I'll also have to keep more of an eye on his calcium intake and perhaps order some kms pellets (he usually gets Oxbow or Sweet Meadow)

Thanks
    Thanks
    716 Rec'd/617 Posts
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

I'm so sorry for all the problems your boys are having. I hope that Pickle is going to be alright. I think it's a good sign that he is no longer having problems urinating.

I do give my pigs the Oxbow Urinary Support tabs. I don't know if they are really helpful because my girls have not had any UTI. I just feel that since I take supplements I'm sure the pigs probably can benefit from them also. I alternate the Urinary Support with the Immune Support

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    111 Rec'd/89 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    I'm so sorry for all the problems your boys are having. I hope that Pickle is going to be alright. I think it's a good sign that he is no longer having problems urinating.

I do give my pigs the Oxbow Urinary Support tabs. I don't know if they are really helpful because my girls have not had any UTI. I just feel that since I take supplements I'm sure the pigs probably can benefit from them also. I alternate the Urinary Support with the Immune Support
    I have looked at the urinary and digestive supplements from Oxbow. I was wondering about them.
    How long have you given them to your piggies?

Thanks
    Thanks
    716 Rec'd/617 Posts
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

@Kim37040, I started my pigs on the supplements about 6 months ago. I will say the Urinary ones are pretty hard and kind of hard to cut in half. The Immune ones are somewhat softer and the pigs seem to like them much better. However, they do take both of them. I just call them cookies and give them to the pigs right before I turn out the lights for their bedtime. Now all I have to say is do you want a cookie and they come running.

Thanks
    Thanks
    208 Rec'd/157 Posts
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

I have used the digestive support before and my boys loved them, hopefully the urinary support goes over just as well and is helpful. I'm anxious at work now to get home and check on him.

User Tag List