Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to Pigs, but I had Hogs!

sweetteascraps

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! I'm new to guinea pigs, but I've always had other small animals. Doctors kept telling me I was allergic to GPs, but last test said otherwise so here we are! I currently have hedgehogs, 100+ lizards, a dog and a cat. I found my first two guinea pigs on CL from a family who received them as a gift but didn't think it was appropriate for their young children. Butters and Groceries are an absolute delight! They greet you when you come into the room and are just little chatter boxes, I love it!!
My third guinea pig was from a family who wasn't giving their pig enough attention and decided to find it a new home. Mr. Rufus Nibbles is down right handsome... but he doesn't like people or he's just THAT shy. He is NOTHING like my other two girls and I'm a bit sad about it. He doesn't come out of his hide when I'm in the room and doesn't talk at all. He is my work in progress.

I've spent a great deal of time on Hedgehog and Gecko forums, but I'm usually spending most of my time reading :)

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
Well they do better in pairs! Maybe get him a male friend? I got a guinea pig he was EXTREMELY skittish and scared and didn't do anything and when I introduced him to my other pig (my intentions all along) he started popcorning and came out of his shell it was so cute!

Liviebrew1

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! I'm new to guinea pigs, but I've always had other small animals. Doctors kept telling me I was allergic to GPs, but last test said otherwise so here we are! I currently have hedgehogs, 100+ lizards, a dog and a cat. I found my first two guinea pigs on CL from a family who received them as a gift but didn't think it was appropriate for their young children. Butters and Groceries are an absolute delight! They greet you when you come into the room and are just little chatter boxes, I love it!!
My third guinea pig was from a family who wasn't giving their pig enough attention and decided to find it a new home. Mr. Rufus Nibbles is down right handsome... but he doesn't like people or he's just THAT shy. He is NOTHING like my other two girls and I'm a bit sad about it. He doesn't come out of his hide when I'm in the room and doesn't talk at all. He is my work in progress.

I've spent a great deal of time on Hedgehog and Gecko forums, but I'm usually spending most of my time reading :)

Welcome! I love hedgehogs too! Post some pigtures of your pigs and hogs please!!:)

jessieisabel

Cavy Slave
It's our unspoken rule here that new members must post pictures! (and since you have other animals, we'd like to see them too, haha)

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I hope you didn't put him with the girls cause you may end up with babies if you did. They can breed at like 3 weeks old or possibly sooner because you have to remember they are animals. If he is alone you should proly get him a male friend cause they do better in pairs. Whatever you do don't go to a pet store all they want to do is make money. But you will need to intoduce them in nuetral territory. You can't jus throw them in the cage together especially males, males are more territorial than females. So it can be harder to bond males. You may want to google how to introduce 2 males or jus ask it here. I've never had males so I'm not good at answering that question. But if you get him a male friend you will have to quarentine him first but if you adopt they will already have done that. Or if you get him neutered you can put him with the females after he's healed and the vet sais its okay. Good luck with your new piggies.

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
The youngest, on record, male guinea pig that had bred was I believe at 3.5 weeks old they can't breed sooner than three weeks old or else many mother guinea pigs would have become pregnant! And I also disagree with not being able to just put males together I've done it twice and both are fine and happy and still live together and in a room FULL of female guinea pigs it's a misconception that males wont accept each other if introduced in such a manner but you've also got to know the personalities of your guinea pig and know how they should be introduced! My males are happier in pairs and are EXTREMELY well bonded better than my girls! Though I do have one male that is male aggressive and will be getting neutered to be put with girls like I said you've really got to learn, inside and out, the personality of your pigs! I wouldn't suggest just putting them together though if you've never really introduced males before or don't know what to look for! My males personalities clashed well so I was very comfortable introducing them the way I did!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Groceries...ha ha! That's an awesome name for a piggy. My girls go through a LOT of groceries each week.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I love their names!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.