Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Doesn't eat enough pellets?

TheMuffinPiggy

Cavy Slave
Hello!! My name is Amanda, and I own 1 female Peruvian guinea pig. I've started measuring her pellets - giving her one/eighth of a cup of pellets and I was going to fill it up daily, as I thought it would all be gone... but she doesn't eat it all. Now I've heard that some people give a quarter of a cup of pellets per pig, and fill it up more than once a day. Is this okay?? She gets unlimited hay, and veggies almost daily.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
My girls do that too. I just keep it at about 3/8 cup of pellets. I have 3 sows, so 3/8 cup! :)

aspecht

Cavy Slave
My guys don't even get pellets daily right now. We had a calcium issue, so I cut back on the pellets and other veggies that contain larger amount until I get it under control. When they did get pellets daily I would just fill the dish (the dish holds about 1/4 cup) and the two would empty it about every other day.

TheMuffinPiggy

Cavy Slave
My guys don't even get pellets daily right now. We had a calcium issue, so I cut back on the pellets and other veggies that contain larger amount until I get it under control. When they did get pellets daily I would just fill the dish (the dish holds about 1/4 cup) and the two would empty it about every other day.
Thanks! Hope your piggies are okay :)

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Thanks! Hope your piggies are okay :)

They are I'm sure. I was just noticing increasing amounts of white spots, so I cut back on the calcium to see if they went away and they have. I didn't realize that kale was high in calcium, and they were getting it about every other day. So I let their systems clean out hopefully and we will start adding some other foods back in small amounts.

TheMuffinPiggy

Cavy Slave
They are I'm sure. I was just noticing increasing amounts of white spots, so I cut back on the calcium to see if they went away and they have. I didn't realize that kale was high in calcium, and they were getting it about every other day. So I let their systems clean out hopefully and we will start adding some other foods back in small amounts.
Muffin also used to get many calcium deposits, I only noticed them when I switched to fleece about a month ago. I switched to Oxbow Cavy Cuisine.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Muffin also used to get many calcium deposits, I only noticed them when I switched to fleece about a month ago. I switched to Oxbow Cavy Cuisine.

Oxbow still has calcium in it though. I am considering switching to KMS as it is the only brand without calcium. Right now, I don't have the money for it so we are just doing extra veggies and hay and giving pellets every other day or so

TheMuffinPiggy

Cavy Slave
Oxbow still has calcium in it though. I am considering switching to KMS as it is the only brand without calcium. Right now, I don't have the money for it so we are just doing extra veggies and hay and giving pellets every other day or so
I know, but the pellets she was on before were alfalfa based :/ I know, really bad. KMS? I've never seen it. Is it expensive?

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I know, but the pellets she was on before were alfalfa based :/ I know, really bad. KMS? I've never seen it. Is it expensive?

It is something you order online apparently. It appears expensive, especially the shipping, but once you break it down to price per pound, it is relatively cheap

(broken link removed)

TheMuffinPiggy

Cavy Slave
It is something you order online apparently. It appears expensive, especially the shipping, but once you break it down to price per pound, it is relatively cheap

(broken link removed)
Cool! What pellets are you on now?

filchikmcr

Cavy Slave
I've been thinking about switching to KMS pellets lately, but I just bought Oxbow recently. I paid 24 dollars for a 15 pound bag of Oxbow, and I just looked at KMS and 25 pounds of their pellets would cost me 37 dollars with shipping included, so it's actually a lot cheaper for me to order more.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I've been thinking about switching to KMS pellets lately, but I just bought Oxbow recently. I paid 24 dollars for a 15 pound bag of Oxbow, and I just looked at KMS and 25 pounds of their pellets would cost me 37 dollars with shipping included, so it's actually a lot cheaper for me to order more.

Yes, it would definitely be worth it! I'm thinking that next month this will be the route I take. I would probably order hay and pellets together though, that makes the cost even cheaper.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
Yes, it would definitely be worth it! I'm thinking that next month this will be the route I take. I would probably order hay and pellets together though, that makes the cost even cheaper.

I don't have my pigs yet so I can't speak for quality (Although I've heard it's fantastic!) But I plan on getting the 45 pounds bucket of Timothy pellets and the 45 pound of bluegrass hay, and it'll only cost me 100$ every 6 months. That includes shipping! I think its an amazing deal, and I don't have to go shopping monthly.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@TheMuffinPiggy, you may want to contact KMS about shipping pellets to Canada. For a while, they couldn't get them through customs, then they could, but you had to talk to them before ordering.

guinealover701

Cavy Slave
The pellets are just extra things,The pellets have hay in them so it's ok as long as she has hay. No biggy I am seeing that mine isn't eating as much as he was before. So it's fine if she doesn't eat them.

TheMuffinPiggy

Cavy Slave
The pellets are just extra things,The pellets have hay in them so it's ok as long as she has hay. No biggy I am seeing that mine isn't eating as much as he was before. So it's fine if she doesn't eat them.
Okay, thank you!!

TheMuffinPiggy

Cavy Slave
@TheMuffinPiggy , you may want to contact KMS about shipping pellets to Canada. For a while, they couldn't get them through customs, then they could, but you had to talk to them before ordering.
Thanks, but I think I will stick with Oxbow ;)

Mellisenda

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.