Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression 4 month old boars (brothers) chasing each other around cage.

amberlee42890

Cavy Slave
Hi, I have two guinea pig boars, Damon and Domynik. They are from the same litter. We got Damon a couple weeks ago but Domynik was sick so we had to wait to pick him up. We just brought him home today and they keep chasing each other around the cage. When they were in their play pen Damon kept humping Domynik which the pet store said was just showing his dominance towards Domynik. Domynik is slightly bigger than Damon but not by much, you have to be up really close to tell. Whenever Domynik tries to eat a carrot, Damon goes and eats the same carrot, even though there are four other pieces lying around the play pen. I know guinea pigs like to play, so are they playing or are they trying to show dominance? They are brothers so I thought they would get along well. Should I separate them? I just bought a larger cage so they can be comfy in there together. Also, Damon seems to not want Domynik to eat or be in the igloo.

amberlee42890

Cavy Slave
They are definitely both boys. I checked.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Definitely check those links, and make sure you have two (at least) of everything. Two houses, two food bowls, two water bottles. Make sure that you cut a second hole into the pigloo so that there is two ways in and out so that the submissive pig doesn't get stuck with no escape. Where did you get them? I'm just wondering if I missed that part of your original post.

amberlee42890

Cavy Slave
We only have one of everything. I had 2 female pigs as a teenager and they shared everything. I checked out the links. I got them at Dave's Pet City

aspecht

Cavy Slave
The problem is that like any other animal, every one is going to be different. They may be civil with each other, but need seperate things. My boys get along really well, but I still have two of everything because they are both going through puberty and can get moody.

amberlee42890

Cavy Slave
The problem is that like any other animal, every one is going to be different. They may be civil with each other, but need seperate things. My boys get along really well, but I still have two of everything because they are both going through puberty and can get moody.

I will definitely try that. Thank you

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Also, did you do proper introductions when you brought the second pig home?

amberlee42890

Cavy Slave
Also, did you do proper introductions when you brought the second pig home?

Sort of. We put Domynik in the play pen, waited a second, then put Damon in the play pen. We thought that because they were brothers that they would remember each other and do well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.