Thanks
    Thanks
    73 Rec'd/44 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Soft poop (on feet)

What changes can I make to my guinea pigs' diet to firm up their poop? I haven't made any real changes recently, but I've been finding them with poop in between their toes more often than usual.

2 pigs

They have unlimited water and bluegrass hay
    KMS pellets (probably more than 1/8 cup per pig, per day. I basically put a "KMS scoop" in the bowl daily)
    2 cups red/green leaf lettuce daily served 1 cup in the morning, 1 cup in the evening
    1/8 slice green pepper with the lettuce - so 2 of these daily

random fruit/veggie treats - a baby carrot, slice of apple, strawberry top or two and a green grape are the most frequent. Not given in a salad, but given as a treat when I or someone in the family has a snack themselves. Treats are probably one of these every other day.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'm sick of the smashed poop on their feet. It gets tossed out of the cage when they climb the walls of the cage and it might be my imagination, but I think it smells more than non smashed poop.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Re: Soft poop (on feet)

We had to cut back on the lettuce when we went through this. We give them romaine or red leaf, now about 1/2 to 2/3rd cups each once per day with their bell pepper & another veg for dinner. Oxbow CQ pellets once per day; 2 tablespoons each plus a small piece of either veg or fruit for breakfast. They have unlimited Oxbow Timothy hay & water.

Thanks
    Thanks
    114 Rec'd/88 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

This actually happened with my new pig, Delilah, and I had to bathe her feet because it was caked inside her grossly overgrown nails. It wasn't because the poos were soft necessarily, but because she was in a filthy environment for a while. All that's improved, she hasn't had "poo-nails" since.

But going with @Mellisenda , I think that's a lotta lettuce! And I think green pepper is only supposed to be one 1/8 slice. Something about too much Vitamin C (don't quite know what happens, but it isn't good). But all the fresh veggies usually makes for mushy poop. It's great that you're willing to feed them and all, but lotsa watery veggies (I think you're supposed to rinse them) means softer poos.

I feel like I was a bit redundant, perhaps not? Ah, well. I got the message across twice

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Ours had also become a bit bloated at the time (the two brothers in my avatar) and that resolved, as well, with the diet adjustment. We had only had them about 3 months. One of them is proan to quick weight gain, too, so wer'e pretty diligent with their diet.

Thanks
    Thanks
    73 Rec'd/44 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

I can definitely cut down on the lettuce and see how that goes. My amounts are for both pigs, so it's 1 cup lettuce and 1/8 green pepper per pig, per day. I just give them one cup of lettuce and 1/8 green pepper to share in the morning and then the same thing again at dinnertime.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Here's some very good info;

http://m.humanesociety.org/animals/g...g_feeding.html

http://m.humanesociety.org/animals/g...d_choices.html

If you notice, for serving info they state 1 cup total for both lettuce and veggies combined per day, per pig. That's what we go by.

User Tag List