Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet How long will hay and pellets last?

GPlove94

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
How long will a 40oz bag of hay and a 4lb bag of pellets last me? I have two guinea pigs and use a small-medium sized hay rack and one dish bowl. Both of my guinea pigs don't really eat a lot of pellets usually put about 1/8 to 1/4 cup of pellets in their dish plus a cup veggies one in the morning and one at night.

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Slave
I really don't know, but I always get some more when my stuff is half gone. I would suggest only feeding them 1/8 cup pellets in one day, maybe spitting it up. They can get really fat (I have a fat piggie, if you would like to know :) ) And lazy. :D
Welcome to the forum and I hope this answered your question!

-G

GPlove94

Cavy Slave
thanks, Yeah I usually try to lean more to the 1/8 cup of pellets a day for the both of them and refill the food dish in the morning they typically go rampage over the hay i got them. Maybe i'll just buy a bigger bag of each next time. i really want to try KMS hay and pellets.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
4lb Bag Pellets is 64oz and each pig eats 1oz (1/8th a cup) per day that's 2oz a day. 2/64oz = 32 (days.) =)

As for the 40oz hay, maybe 3 weeks at most.

By the way I wouldn't buy more than 5lbs of pellets at a time because they lose their nutritional value pretty quickly, I don't keep mine longer than 1.5 months.
Also each Guinea Pig needs 1/8th of pellets, no less no more. Look into a local farm for cheap bales of hays that can last you a year.

LauraK

Cavy Slave
I buy pellets and hay from Kleenmamas. For a reference, 45 lbs of hay lasts my 2 girls about a year and I buy a 20lb bag of pellets twice a year. You can store them in the freezer or in a cool place so that they retain their nutritional value. There is plenty of information on KMS website on keeping pellets and how long their shelf life is. Also, search the forum for how much certain quantities of hay and pellets last other people. It's not an exact science- some pigs eat more/less- all of the figures that people put out there are estimates.

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
Not sure all I can say is I buy 10lbs of food it last me two weeks and a 90ounce bag of hay that only last a week but I've got 11 guinea pigs so not sure but also you can buy a large amount of food just store it in the freezer

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.