Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Abscess Yogurt and Critical Care questions

Lil Pig

Cavy Slave
Hi all! I have three questions: 1. Yogurt: I know that cavy kids are lactose intolerant. What exactly does the intolerance do to them? How do they act? 2. Acidophilus: How do you know how much to give? And how often? 3: Critical care: How does it come? How much do you give? How often?

We recently had two cavy's with abscesses under their chins. We lost one :'(. We had an autopsy performed on her which revealed abscesses/pus pockets in her lungs also. Unknown if the infection in the lungs metastasized to the ones under the chin or vice versa. Remaining cavy currently on antibiotics to continue to shrink them. Abscesses have also been drained and looking MUCH better. However, the remaining cavy is losing weight. I watch him eat, and he eats fine! I don't understand it.

Weight: 6/7/13 1231g
6/11/13 1252g
6/12/13 1232g
6/13/13 1219g 10hrs later: 1187

He acts no different! I just don't get it!

Thank you for all your input!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
They will weigh different amounts at different times during the day. Weird, but the fluctuation you're seeing actually looks fairly normal to me, unless he continues to drop. The antibiotics might be responsible for the weight loss, especially if you aren't giving a probiotic.

Yogurt - lactose intolerance looks like an upset gut and possibly diarrhea, neither of which your pig can handle in his current condition, especially. Acidophilus, what I do is just get a capsule and dissolve it in about 3 cc's of water - I get Nature's Life Garden Acidophilus and my pigs have all really liked it. I don't know why, it tastes like powder to me. You can't really overdose with a probiotic. Just be sure you're giving it 45 minutes before or after the antibiotic. I do it before, my vet recommends before, but I've heard good reasons for both, so it's kind of up to you.

Critical Care, your vet could tell you depending on the pig's weight, but what I recall from an average sized pig was 6-10 CCs every 4-6 hours. Basically, as much as you can get in him. Critical Care is a fine grind powder that you mix with water or Pedialyte.

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave
the best probiotics arnt found found on shelves,the refrigerated are much better. you can also give your piggy a poop from a healthy pig,i read that on guinea lynx.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.