Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Upper levels for Midwest Guinea Habitat?!

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
Has anyone had success with adding a second/third level to their Midwest Habitat? I have 2 2X4's in an L shape, and I want my boars to have more room.. Any advice? Pictures would be so helpful too, although I've looked in the C&C alternatives photo tab and not seen very many midwests,, let alone any with 2nd levels.

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I just saw a post of someone that has 2 connect Midwest cages together, but I forget who is was that posted! :/ They made an upper level out of a plastic tub and said it works out for them. Will try to find it for you! :)

EDIT: Found it! It was a post on one of my threads. @everydaylou shared pictures for their cage. Here is the link: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88013

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
@everydaylou Has made an upper level from a Rubbermaid container on her MidWest, here's the picture:

I would put some supports underneath, like the Guinea Pig Cages Store's Wonderbars, or pieces of lumber wood.

Attachments

image.jpg
Last edited:

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
you could get to the store that sells wire closet shelving and even cuts it down to the right size for you. i'm not sure of the name, but some americans on the forum have mentioned it!

attach the shelving with lots of zip ties, and thin metal/wooden rods for support :)

everydaylou

Cavy Slave
I am planning on getting 2 more, adding one on the left side to make that 4x4, and then crossing the other one (with a wooden support board underneath) over that to make a 2x4 loft over the 4x4 bottom.

everydaylou

Cavy Slave
The rubbermaid doesn't need supports because I cut into underside of the lip and created a divet for the bars to slide into, so the whole lip of the tub is acting as a connector to the 3 sides it is up against. VERY sturdy.

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
@everdaylou thanks! That's a great idea! I got my second one from amazon for $30 so you should check there! The first I got from Petco for $65! I think I am going to try the closet shelving, considering I have a couple in my garage. Thanks for the ideas guys! @Varcoda

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
@everydaylou how are you going to make the guineas be able to get to the crossed one, the 2X4 loft? I was thinking about doing something similar, but I don't know how I'd make a ramp without using grids (They are really expensive right now for some reason) what are you going to use?

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
@everydaylou Ah, I though I could see supports underneath the container. It's a great loft though!

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
I did mine today! It's still an L but the _ part of the L has a second level loft thing. I used a 4 ft closet shelf for the floor part and for the ramp I used one of the 1.5 ft ones, with the ramps of the divider as a loft (if that makes sense?). I didn't have coroplast so I just used a foam science fair board cut to size lined with vinyl we had leftover from covering our dining room chairs. It works really well! My boys love it.

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
there's towels on top of the vinyl and on the floor of the cages.

everydaylou

Cavy Slave
I haven't exactly worked the loft ramp out yet. Still a work in progress, but when I get it done I'll post for sure :)

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
yeah mine took a couple people to figure out but its really sturdy (I sat on the second level before the pigs were in and it held me up, didn't even budge!) @everydaylou

GatsbyandOllie

Cavy Slave
I own a Midwest cage and I have a second level on it. I just took the cover of it and some pliers and took off the connecting pieces. Then, I zip-tied the level secure to the sides and measured a piece of cardboard so that it's flat with no spaces. I covered the cardboard with a towel so it doesn't get wet and then covered that with fleece. The ramp is just the two ramps from the separating piece that came with the cage (which I don't use anyways) zip-tied together. I used pliers again to pull apart the ramp's loops at the ends and then put them on the second level! :) It sounds complicated, but it's not.

It works great and the good thing about it is that it's not too high so I don't have to put a another piece of wire or board on the edges of the level because if they want to jump down it would be just like jumping off their igloos which they do sometimes. It's fabulous! Also very safe and I saved money by recycling the top.

The level is in the middle of the cage basically so when they go onto that level they can jump up on the edge. They don't do it often though. But, regardless, when I'm not there to watch them, I put the remaining pieces of the top right back on. :D

YOU SHOULD TRY IT!

DSCN3811.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.