Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rehoming Craigslist Cavvies

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
So I was looking on craigslist for anything small animal related when I come across this post:
(broken link removed)
I emailed the guy and apparently there's only 3 left, all 1 year old, and no specified genders (oh boy..), but they're getting rid of them because the daughter wanted a bunny instead. :confused:
I already have 2 boars in a 16 sq ft cage, so how do I convince my parents that getting them is the right choice? I want to start a small animal rescue, so I feel like getting the hang of taking care of many pocket pets is a good start? Before I got my first cavy, it took 4 essays and 3 months of pleading. I think the fact that I showed them so many cute pigtures 24/7 helped, and my second was an impulse buy at A petstore.. So c'mon people, how'd you convince the opposing force (parents/significant others) to agree?:eek:..What can I do.?

Last edited:
I think your parents would be more likely to get one rather than 3. If you're close to Orlando you may be close to me and my local rescue has an available boar right now.

Will you be able to pay for vet bill for six guinea pigs? Will your parents take you to the vets, pay for the bills, pay for all the food and so forth? As for convincing your parents, I am a parent and begging actually makes me do the opposite. Now if my kids prove they can be responsible by taking care of their pets properly then come to me asking politely yeah I'll consider it. I will also expect them to only ask me once, let my husband and I discuss it, then I'll get back to them. Also making a list of pros and cons of owning that animal, as well as showing me the research they have done would help.

Thanks, but it's not that I just want another (which I do), but that if you look at the pics on the listing you can see their cage is way too small for them let alone 5 guineas, and the fact that they are getting rid of them just so she can get another pet tells me they weren't really a priority to that family in the first place. I would eventually like to find the trio a new home, or homes, but I wouldn't't know if my parents would let me take them in in the first place, ya know?
I think your parents would be more likely to get one rather than 3. If you're close to Orlando you may be close to me and my local rescue has an available boar right now.

Will you be able to pay for vet bill for six guinea pigs? Will your parents take you to the vets, pay for the bills, pay for all the food and so forth? As for convincing your parents, I am a parent and begging actually makes me do the opposite. Now if my kids prove they can be responsible by taking care of their pets properly then come to me asking politely yeah I'll consider it. I will also expect them to only ask me once, let my husband and I discuss it, then I'll get back to them. Also making a list of pros and cons of owning that animal, as well as showing me the research they have done would help.
Yes I can pay for the bills, I have a steady job and I can drive myself to the vet, though that is a good point I can bring up. I already pay for absolutely everything, the only things my parents do is spoil my babies to death with vegetables (; Also, begging doens't work with my parents either, and they never give complete answers. I ended up giving them 3 essays because they wanted to know more information, which I think is very good. Plus, my brothers have 24/7 basketball so I end up doing a LOT of the chores, but I don't really mind because I know that if I just do them well the first time, the sooner I get to do what I want.. My daddy taught me that :) . I think I am very responsible, and my parents often tell me this, so I really don't know of a reason why they'd say no.. What are some reasons you would say no, being a parent? Thank you! @clb89

Yes I can pay for the bills, I have a steady job and I can drive myself to the vet, though that is a good point I can bring up. I already pay for absolutely everything, the only things my parents do is spoil my babies to death with vegetables (; Also, begging doens't work with my parents either, and they never give complete answers. I ended up giving them 3 essays because they wanted to know more information, which I think is very good. Plus, my brothers have 24/7 basketball so I end up doing a LOT of the chores, but I don't really mind because I know that if I just do them well the first time, the sooner I get to do what I want.. My daddy taught me that :) . I think I am very responsible, and my parents often tell me this, so I really don't know of a reason why they'd say no.. What are some reasons you would say no, being a parent? Thank you! @clb89

Well I would say no at this moment because we don't have adequate space for six guinea pigs, nor would we be able to afford the vet bills for that many. Other reasons for saying no would be allergies or if my husband or I simply do not want it as a pet. I wouldn't want to have a pet that our child likes, then something comes up where we would have to take care of a type of pet we don't like. Not begging and proving responsibility is a biggest thing for me, and well my husband too. Also sometimes it's just not the right time such as moving, grieving for a loss, having a new baby and other big events.

Well, congratulations on your big events! :) Also, what would be the best way to ask? I want to pack the most information into a concise way of asking that way I am not bugging them, but still getting my point across. What would be the way to ask that would make you most likely to agree, if your circumstances were'nt as you have described them to me? @clb89

@TacoBellWinnieP Maybe writing down all the responsible things you already do as well as a plan of action for how you will be taking care of the new guinea pigs. Have your parents ever told you why they didn't want guinea pigs in the first place? Perhaps show them the ways you overcame those concerns and have answers to other concerns they may have. Then after you give them all of the information, let them discuss it and try to wait for them to approach you about it.

@clb89 Well my dad's sister had 2 or 3 when they were little and they kept them outside and they stunk and were not well cared for (glorified litter box with drop bin for poo...*sigh*) so that was the main reason. I think they were afraid I would lose interest and they would end up with my responsibility, I don't know. But after I got my 2nd, (whose actually doing zoomies from the hammock to the couch to the kitchen right now :) ) my mom was like "enough" so I don't know. And like their other reason was because they don't want it to get out and for my dog to eat it, but their cage has 14" high walls and there's a baby gate in my doorway so that won't happen. Also, how should I present the information to them? Essay, speech, powerpoint, etc? What is the most "appealing" way to receive information like this? Thank you so much for your help so far, by the way!

@TacoBellWinnieP Well you can show them that the guinea pigs don't smell, and you do take care of them, that is pretty easy to do. It depends on the individual, personally I like talking about things openly more then a power point presentation. I could have open discussion for hoursMy husband; on the other hand, likes to know the facts straight away with it presented on paper then he will talk about the facts and what is logical.

Thank you so much. I really have a good feeling about this. Should I include that I'll try to rehome them if necessary, and that this could be the start of my rescuing? @clb89

Thank you so much. I really have a good feeling about this. Should I include that I'll try to rehome them if necessary, and that this could be the start of my rescuing? @clb89

Your welcome. :) You can mention rehoming if it is best for your guinea pigs. Personally I wouldn't let our kids run a rescue in our home, they can do that when they have their own home. I just wouldn't be able to take the heartache. In your case I would take it one step at a time first show you are responsible with six guinea pigs, do a lot of research with rescues, volunteer at shelters, maybe become a foster and save money. If you are a minor I suggest waiting until you are an adult to do a rescue.

I plan to start a rescue when I move out, but I really want to start helping, even on a miniscule scale, as soon as I can.

Well that's a good thing. :) There are tons of things to do to help from not spending money in pet stores that sell animals to fostering guinea pigs from a shelter or rescue.

My GOODNESS, the "panda" one is cute!!!

I can't help you on the parents thing.... my Mom never wanted piggies either. It was only after I moved out that I got them.

@Field-of-Dreams I KNOW RIGHT! Adorable.. But the guy doesn't know the genders, and they're all in one small cage, so I'm sure any girls there are knocked up.. poor things..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.