Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Anyone debating about switching to fleece from disposable bedding?

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to share with you a video I made. It shows how easy it is to change a large cage (3by5) with fleece liners.
I couldn't imagine cleaning large cages with disposable bedding and find I can clean 4 large cages with liners in under 20 minutes (that includes placing out new beds, filling up hay and so on).

Vintage

Cavy Slave
Aww I want to pignap your boys, they seem so comfortable around you :) I'd like to switch to fleece, but we don't have a washer/dryer.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Nice job doing the video by yourself! And cute piggies!

Piggy_

Cavy Slave
Hehe awwww so cute! My favourite part is at 3:37 when your black piggie in the bottom right hand corner of the screen is like "omggggg must.get.to.fresh.hay D:"

I had a question about the fleece liners- is it just polar fleece on both sides? I was under the impression there needed to be an absorbent layer under the fleece; does it get very wet/stinky? How does it work? Cause that looks so much more convenient than using billions of stinky towels to soak up their pee!

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
your piggies are cute indeed :) i'm also curious about the liners looking like they're made out of just fleece, does that work?

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
I'm debating it but I'm not one to sew. So I'd have to find someone who could make it all for me. Does it stink? I don't find our 2x5 (with 2x2 loft) stinking with the pine shavings/CareFresh mix and I'd worry fleece would.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
@skinnypigs are your liners heavey? Did you make thm yourself, or did you buy them? I have two girls who love to burrow under my fleece and I want to try liners but not if they will be able to burrow under them

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
They are fleece on both sides with an absorbant layer in the middle. The ones in the video are Piggy Bed Spreads, custom ordered without the sides. They have a bit of weight to them but not too heavy, I think it would be uncomfortable for a pig to try and go under. My boys have never tried to burrow under the liners.

The boys are definitely use to me stepping in and out of their cages all the time!

I clean their cages twice a week and don't find that any pee leaks through. I put mini pads under hay racks to collect most of the pee. I don't notice a smell, maybe a bit the day of cage cleaning but I also have an air purifier in their room which helps out a great deal!

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
your purifier how long have you had with the piggies? Did you ever have them without the purifier to be able to compare the difference with the smell of the room and their health?

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
I've had the purifier for a year or two now. You can tell the difference easily. It takes out so much dust as well. A prime example of how well it works is when the power goes out, the purifier turns off. There have been a few times I've come home to find we had a power outage and the pig room was stinky and stuffy since the purifier wasn't running. Having it moves the air around, cleans the air and really freshens it up. I would not go without it!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
After watching this video, I want to sew my flippers together and have larger pads!

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Oh I wish I had a washer/dryer!

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
thanks been thinking about getting one. might be soon

aeiou

Cavy Slave
That looks super handy! I might just have to do that. But what are good things to put as the absorbent layer?

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
That looks super handy! I might just have to do that. But what are good things to put as the absorbent layer?

the absorbent is sewed on

aeiou

Cavy Slave
I meant what are good things to sew in between the layers of fleece

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have three cages with two fleece pads per cage, too. My fleece pads have a single layer of uhaul pad in the middle and aren't heavy. My boys never burrow but my females do sometimes. I put two cobblestones in the cage with my biggest burrower. As long as the cobblestones are there, she doesn't go under the fleece. My pigs hop to the other side like yours do.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
So cute. Can you tell me where you get your tents from they are so cute! Do you know where I can find instructions on how to make them?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.