Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Question Ivermectin dosage

I bought a bottle of Ivermectin to treat my guinea pigs for her mites and internal parasite. My question how much do I use for here and how many treatments for how many weeks? I do not have a scale and can not afford one at the moment. I will attach a picture of her so someone can help me guess her weight for dosage amounts to give her. And would be great if anyone that is familiar with this could help me tell her how much Ivermectin to give here and for how long. I was unable to take her to a very cause they wanted $75 for the exam plus crazy cost for medication ect. I recently lost my job. So am trying to do my best trying to make my guinea pig better. She dose have a fat little belly. But I can feel here back bone and hip bones. So I am thinking she has internal parasites and she dose have mites on here fur/skin. She stractchs here self a lot and is always biting here skin with much dis-comfort. She has no open sores. I would like to nip this in the but before it makes her very sick. I hate to see my baby so uncomfortable. I hope this makes sense :) Oh also I did buy Syringes 1cc to give her the Ivermectin just not sure how much. Thank u to anyone that can help meClick image for larger version. 

Name:	293887_598325860177938_1714551540_n.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	49697

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    79 Rec'd/61 Posts

Re: Ivermectin dosage

Do not administer ivermectin without an accurate weight on the pig. An overdose can cause seizures and death. Scales are only 20-30 dollars in Walmart, Target, etc.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/12 Posts

You can buy a scale for $10 on amazon
    Amazon.com: Cuisaid ProDigital AccuWeigh Digital Kitchen Scale With Cuisaid Calorie Guide 11 Lb. Capacity (Black Chrome): Kitchen & Dining

They are not very expensive and will be extremely useful in the future as well.

There is no way we could estimate her weight based on a photo.

You administer the dosage based on her weight. You can read up about it on the guinea lynx website

http://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_treatment.html

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4085 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,526 Rec'd/6,014 Posts

We have to know exactly what your pig weighs, and exactly the strength of the ivermectin -- the bottle should say something like "% preparation," or "mg/cc" or "mg/ml." Post whatever you can find about the strength, and get her weighed exactly, and we'll help you with the dosage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/5 Posts

I gave all seven of my pigs that stuff without knowing their weight. My friend who owned 100 guinea pigs said to "moisten" the end of a flat tooth pick and have them lick it, then drink tons of water.
    Oh my God, someone please tell me I didn't kill my sister's guinea pig.....

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4085 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,526 Rec'd/6,014 Posts

@SulcataGirl, some ivermectin is meant to treat horses and cows that weigh more than a thousand pounds, and it's concentrated into a small bottle. One drop of that stuff would be enough for a whole herd of guinea pigs. It has to be diluted with a LOT of water or other solvent, and then only a tiny bit is given. Overdoses can cause neurological problems or even death. It's not a good idea to treat an animal with a medication unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    55 Rec'd/46 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have a pig that looks identicle to yours!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/5 Posts

@pbatters: I trusted my friend and her knowledge and now I don't know if my sister's pig, Kimbur, died because I didn't do any of my own research first.
    I can't believe this happened. I can't believe I did this...
    Here's a picture of the tube. It's 1.87%
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HorseHealth-Ivermectin.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	49706
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0521031602a.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	49705  

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4085 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,526 Rec'd/6,014 Posts

It's horse paste, and that tube will treat up to 1320 pounds of horse -- at roughly two pounds per guinea pig, that's enough for 660 guinea pigs.

To use it, you take only 20% of it, dilute it with 22 cc of water, and then give less than one tenth of a cc for most pigs.

I don't know whether Kimbur's death was due to the ivermectin or not. But in the future, be very careful of dosing pigs without running the proposed dose by someone who can check your calculations.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/5 Posts

thank you. I will be very careful from now on.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    It's horse paste, and that tube will treat up to 1320 pounds of horse -- at roughly two pounds per guinea pig, that's enough for 660 guinea pigs.

To use it, you take only 20% of it, dilute it with 22 cc of water, and then give less than one tenth of a cc for most pigs.

I don't know whether Kimbur's death was due to the ivermectin or not. But in the future, be very careful of dosing pigs without running the proposed dose by someone who can check your calculations.

User Tag List