Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/5 Posts

Kimbur died

My sister's pig, Kimbur, died at 2:30 this morning. I believe he had an URI and was our oldest piggy.
    She's so upset, even though she barely spent time with him, and she never cleaned his cage or made an effort to build a larger cage (he lived in a store bought cage because mother didn't care about running laps or having enough room to prevent fights). I don't know how to handle this because I laugh things off and make non-offensive jokes when sad things happen, it's how I cope.
    Should I find her another pig?

That leads me to another questions: We had five boys with Kimbur. Quasi and Oogie are cagemates because they are both Abys and get alone pretty well. Then Smudge and Kimbur lived together because that's how we got them, and then I adopted Sir Alexander as a single. After having Kimbur and Smudge for 5 months I discovered how bad the fighting was and put Smudge with Alex, but then they fought. So I tried Kimbur and Alex and the only thing was Alex liked to mount Kimbur, A LOT, but Kimbur didn't whine or bite or anything. Now that Kimbur is gone, should I try Alex with Smudge again?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    61 Rec'd/58 Posts

Re: Kimbur died

I'm so sorry for your loss!! I'm sure someone on here will answer your questions for you.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    481 Rec'd/326 Posts

I'm so sorry that Kimbur has passed away. I would suggest not getting any more pigs and instead focus on expanding the cage space for the piggies you have left.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    574 Rec'd/443 Posts

Wow. Sorry for the loss but she never cleaned the cage, never spent time with them- basically didn't take care of them properly, she shouldn't be in charge of the remaining pigs nor have any more again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/5 Posts

When I move out in September I have to leave two of my pigs with her, plus they're keeping the two girls.
    I feel like Kimbur's death and any future ones will be my responsibility

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    574 Rec'd/443 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SulcataGirl View Post
    When I move out in September I have to leave two of my pigs with her, plus they're keeping the two girls.
    I feel like Kimbur's death and any future ones will be my responsibility
    Can you find them a good home??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Can you find them a good home??
    I'm trying to, but I honestly don't trust the community I live in. We got all the piggies from a pet store (before I knew that's bad) and from people who didn't take care of them. How can I put them back into that? I'm trying so hard to care for all seven, now six, pigs and it's frustrating because mother won't let me build bigger cages even though we have these all-plastic, wanna-be cubes! And my sister only holds them when [I]she's[I] having a bad day, and then she pets them hard and holds them uncomfortably and throws them up in the air like you see parents do with older babies (human!). And neither of them care to do ANY research about cages, food, exercise, risks of pregnancy, or ANYTHING. Mother looked up diseases once and said: "OH HELL NO I AM NOT PAYING VET BILLS!"
    She didn't even care enough to do any of the fun, less scary research. She buys this guinea pig food that has the green and pink O's in it and corn kernels and other seeds. I told her that's not good, and to jus buy the plain pellets from Wal*Mart (WHICH IS CHEAPER) and she ignored me.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    38 Rec'd/21 Posts

Based on what you're saying, I think it would be best for the guinea pigs to put them up for adoption on guineapigzone.com. The majority of people that frequent this site are 100% committed to caring for and loving guinea pigs and are usually very knowledgeable. I'm sorry about your loss by the way.

User Tag List