Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hard white growth on the side of piggy's toe

When I was playing with my piggy, Gizmo, I was startled to notice one of his toes was covered in dry blood. I thought he had broken a nail, but after cleaning the area I found that his nail was perfectly fine. The pad of his foot looks normal as well. However there is a small hard white growth on the side of one of his nails. It is flat and perfectly round, similar to a human wart or a large zit, and overlaps the skin and cuticle area of his toe. I don't see any inflammation or redness, just the bit of blood coming from the area. It was no longer bleeding after I cleaned it and does not appear to be causing him any pain, but it was obviously bleeding earlier.

I researched foot conditions and found nothing that fit Gizmo's strange foot growth. His nails are cut regularly, the last time being a week ago, and I noticed no abnormalities then. I'm worried that it could be some sort of blister or infection. Before I take him to the vet, do any of you have any idea what I might be dealing with here? If anyone would like a photo, I could upload one.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Melissa123's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    318 Rec'd/234 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quoted
    243 Post(s)

Re: hard white growth on the side of piggy's toe

I think a picture might help. I have never personally had this issue with any of my piggies. Does it seem itchy, maybe he is chewing at it when you are not around. Have you changed anything in his diet, bedding, or any new friends for him? Even changing laundry detergent can't cause issues. Hope it's nothing serious and easy to fix!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,246 Rec'd/5,771 Posts
    Mentioned
    2030 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3813 Post(s)

Re: hard white growth on the side of piggy's toe

Picture, please?

User Tag List