Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet hard white growth on the side of piggy's toe

jmp8133

Cavy Slave
When I was playing with my piggy, Gizmo, I was startled to notice one of his toes was covered in dry blood. I thought he had broken a nail, but after cleaning the area I found that his nail was perfectly fine. The pad of his foot looks normal as well. However there is a small hard white growth on the side of one of his nails. It is flat and perfectly round, similar to a human wart or a large zit, and overlaps the skin and cuticle area of his toe. I don't see any inflammation or redness, just the bit of blood coming from the area. It was no longer bleeding after I cleaned it and does not appear to be causing him any pain, but it was obviously bleeding earlier.

I researched foot conditions and found nothing that fit Gizmo's strange foot growth. His nails are cut regularly, the last time being a week ago, and I noticed no abnormalities then. I'm worried that it could be some sort of blister or infection. Before I take him to the vet, do any of you have any idea what I might be dealing with here? If anyone would like a photo, I could upload one.

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think a picture might help. I have never personally had this issue with any of my piggies. Does it seem itchy, maybe he is chewing at it when you are not around. Have you changed anything in his diet, bedding, or any new friends for him? Even changing laundry detergent can't cause issues. Hope it's nothing serious and easy to fix!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Picture, please?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.