Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Help! My boys pee and poo in one place!!!

loulou

Cavy Slave
Hi all :)

You are probably reading the title and thinking, 'that's a good thing isn't it?' well no it isn't!

My boys have a wooden house which they sleep in and run in to when they are scared. But they poop and pee in the house and no where else in the down stairs of the C&C cage. They do pee and poop in the hay loft i have for them, but love going in their house!

It is fine during the day as myself or my partner are there to spot clean, but during the night when they poop, it must be yukky for them to be laying in their own poop and pee!

Now, my partner suggested we move the wooden house to another corner so they will continue to go in the same corner but eventually poop and pee in the litter tray that i will buy them and put it in their corner. Now, i said well if we move the house, won't they just poop and pee in the house again?

Not sure what to do and how to 'train' them. I know you can't fully train guinea pigs, but any advice would be great!

Ideally i would like them to poop and pee in the hay loft all the time, but i don't think that will ever happen! ;)

Thanks for reading :)

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
i dont think they will poop and pee 100% in one place, but mine mainly go in the hayloft or the litterbox under the loft.

you can make or buy a 'pigloo pad', basically fleece and towels/uhaul sewn together to make a small pee absorber so you can change it when it gets wet and thus reduce how often you need to change the whole cage bedding due to one wet spot :) also i notice my piggies tend to poop in darker areas or areas they eat. so if you set up a tent at the corner you'd prefer them to poop and pee in, perhaps they'll go there? :)

as for the litter tray... well.. it's kinda one of my girl's favourite hangout spot.... not much i can do about that except make sure it's dry and toss out the poop often.

NormaS

Cavy Slave
They will pee and poop where they spend most of their time. In their case it is where they eat and sleep. My piggy, Nikolai, does it in the kitchen area, and inside his pigloo where he sleeps. Does the wooden house has a wooden floor? I would remove it so that the pee will be absorbed into the bedding and they are kept dry.

loulou

Cavy Slave
They will pee and poop where they spend most of their time. In their case it is where they eat and sleep. My piggy, Nikolai, does it in the kitchen area, and inside his pigloo where he sleeps. Does the wooden house has a wooden floor? I would remove it so that the pee will be absorbed into the bedding and they are kept dry.

No it has no floor so they poop and pee on the fleece. That area is kept dry it's the poop that fills the house!! :) Thank you for your comments :)

loulou

Cavy Slave
i dont think they will poop and pee 100% in one place, but mine mainly go in the hayloft or the litterbox under the loft.

you can make or buy a 'pigloo pad', basically fleece and towels/uhaul sewn together to make a small pee absorber so you can change it when it gets wet and thus reduce how often you need to change the whole cage bedding due to one wet spot :) also i notice my piggies tend to poop in darker areas or areas they eat. so if you set up a tent at the corner you'd prefer them to poop and pee in, perhaps they'll go there? :)

as for the litter tray... well.. it's kinda one of my girl's favourite hangout spot.... not much i can do about that except make sure it's dry and toss out the poop often.

That's a great idea!! :) Thanks for that. So if i make a fleece/towel pad and have the house sitting on top of that, i can change that as and when and that corner stays pee free :)

Yeah i've noticed darker places...i will try the tent idea. I have an igloo so i'll give that a go! Fab thanks again! :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
Why don't you make a tray with carefresh in it and put the house in there? Then you can just dump it to clean it out.

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
For UK slaves Carefresh is 25% off at Pets at Home, just order it online don't give them store traffic. Orders £29 and over free delivery. Its a little pricey but its worth the money so stock up while it's cheaper!

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You could Put a litter pan under the house with the small pee pad in it. I think something you can wash is way cheaper than litter in the long run....

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You've got the best of all possible worlds -- pigs that have potty trained themselves. All you need to do is put something easily changeable under the house, and change it every day. When I was using fleece, I made a bunch of small fleece pads that I put in the corners (where my pigs usually pooped and peed). It was very easy to replace them each day, and saved a ton of cage cleaning.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
glad to have helped :D hope it works!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.