Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Oxbow or KMS

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Which one would you choose for them to be your supplier forever???

I want to know :D I have oxbow right now and thinking about KMS(both are very good products to me ):cheerful:

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
KM's pellets for sure. I was feeding Oxbow for 3 years and have had 2 pigs get bladder stones. Not saying it is all the pellets fault but Oxbow has .85 percent calcium in them and KM's only has .43 percent. It is worth switching for less calcium and the calcium in Oxbow is Calcium carbonate, which is what piggy stones are made of, where KM's pellets uses a different type of calcium, forget the name.

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I just switched to KMS, it is totally worth the cost of shipping. My piggies are very happy to be back on pellets and love the bluegrass hay! I took my boys off pellets completely when one of my boys got his bladder stones. No issues since (fingers are crossed!!) but I have been a nervous wreck just thinking about him getting more of them ever since his surgery!

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
I feel your pain Melissa123! I worry everyday for my one boy who made it through surgery, sadly the other did not.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I know I sound like a broken record, but KMS may not fix your problem. One of my sows recently had surgery to remove a bladder stone, and she'd been on a low-calcium diet with KMS pellets almost all her life. You still have to watch, and you may even have to go pelletless.

That said, KMS is somewhat lower in calcium than Oxbow (but I don't think Oxbow has anything like .85% -- that may just be the upper end of their range). And KMS does use a different calcium compound than Oxbow.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
KMS definitely been ordering her pellets and hay for 3 years now and will never go back! :)

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
I know I sound like a broken record, but KMS may not fix your problem. One of my sows recently had surgery to remove a bladder stone, and she'd been on a low-calcium diet with KMS pellets almost all her life. You still have to watch, and you may even have to go pelletless.

That said, KMS is somewhat lower in calcium than Oxbow (but I don't think Oxbow has anything like .85% -- that may just be the upper end of their range). And KMS does use a different calcium compound than Oxbow.

You're not a broken record and I know it isn't a fix for sure. I just think if you have the choice between the two pellets, why not get the one with lower calcium and the one without calcium carbonate. Yes the upper range is .85%, but that still means there could be that much in them.
I feed hardly any pellets but feel better that it is KM's over Oxbow. Oxbow the boys were having calcium deposits all over the fleece, even when feeding less than 1/8th of a cup and KM's they are getting less than 1/8th of a cup and you can hardly see any deposits, sometimes just very faint ones.
I just think between the two, I would go with KM's since at least that is trying everything I can.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave

Thanks, [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]! I agree, all we can do is feed low calcium foods and hope for the best.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I feel your pain Melissa123! I worry everyday for my one boy who made it through surgery, sadly the other did not.
I am so sorry for your loss! I have heard about poor Rugby and my fingers are crossed for your Barnaby :heart:

Artista

Cavy Slave
KMS! Their pellets are the only ones that have stabilized vit c which means doesn't go away with time. They are fresh just like their hay! I'm a lifer with them!!

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss! I have heard about poor Rugby and my fingers are crossed for your Barnaby :heart:

Thank you! I wish all piggies never had to worry about stones.

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
KMS! Their pellets are the only ones that have stabilized vit c which means doesn't go away with time. They are fresh just like their hay! I'm a lifer with them!!

I never knew that. Vitamin C that stays is awesome :) Yet another good point.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Uh, almost all high-quality pellets use stabilized vitamin C. Certainly Oxbow, Sweet Meadow Farm and KMS use it, and probably the rest do too. I think unstabilized vitamin is found only in very cheap pellets.

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
Uh, almost all high-quality pellets use stabilized vitamin C. Certainly Oxbow, Sweet Meadow Farm and KMS use it, and probably the rest do too. I think unstabilized vitamin is found only in very cheap pellets.

Good to know :)

Artista

Cavy Slave

Maybe I missed it on the label but Oxbow doesn't state stabilized nor talk about it

Artista

Cavy Slave
I just looked at my Oxbow pellet bag and all it says is ascorbic acid (vitamin c). KMS says it.

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My personally opinion i like oxbow better but my boys like it better

Mowgs

Cavy Slave
I just looked at my Oxbow pellet bag and all it says is ascorbic acid (vitamin c). KMS says it.

Website states it's stabilized. Oxbow Animal Health | Essentials - Adult Guinea Pig Food .
I'm not home now, but I can check my bag when I get back and verify.

I use Oxbow now because I get it for like $9 for a 10 lb bag. I'm going to try KMS and see if reduces the calcium deposits in my girl's urine, but if it doesn't I'll probably stick with Oxbow out of convenience for my male, and take her off pellets entirely and give her even less than the 1/8 cup I'm giving now.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Website states it's stabilized. Oxbow Animal Health | Essentials - Adult Guinea Pig Food .
I'm not home now, but I can check my bag when I get back and verify.

I use Oxbow now because I get it for like $9 for a 10 lb bag. I'm going to try KMS and see if reduces the calcium deposits in my girl's urine, but if it doesn't I'll probably stick with Oxbow out of convenience for my male, and take her off pellets entirely and give her even less than the 1/8 cup I'm giving now.

I last purchased a bag in March and it doesn't say stabilized on it. KMS is just fresher. It hasn't been sitting on store shelves for who knows how long even though the expiration date is fine. I liken it to I guess food from farmer's market vs supermarket. Both are good but I'd rather have the smell of freshness and for it to be packed on the spot for me like KMS pellets are than pick it up in a store. Just personal preference. My girl loved Oxbow too and switched to KMS because I had their stellar hay and heard best things about their pellets. I sit and smell their pellets along with her hay! lol

Mowgs

Cavy Slave
I last purchased a bag in March and it doesn't say stabilized on it. KMS is just fresher. It hasn't been sitting on store shelves for who knows how long even though the expiration date is fine. I liken it to I guess food from farmer's market vs supermarket. Both are good but I'd rather have the smell of freshness and for it to be packed on the spot for me like KMS pellets are than pick it up in a store. Just personal preference. My girl loved Oxbow too and switched to KMS because I had their stellar hay and heard best things about their pellets. I sit and smell their pellets along with her hay! lol

I definitely don't mind trying it (and will be this summer), but it's more of a cost thing since I'm running strictly on loans for vet school. It's really hard to convince myself to spend like $40 on food (with shipping) when I can get Oxbow delivered to me every month for $9 a bag due to a feeding program through the school. If Oxbow was horrible quality stuff, I'd make the switch way more quickly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.