Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Inbreeding

Stacinicoleee

Cavy Slave
I'm new to the forums and I hope I'm at the right place for this, but my guinea pig gave birth to 2 babies today. I was very afraid the momma wasn't going to make it because she is not even 3 months old. This is because the idiot I got her from really doesn't know anything about the animals he sells. The reason I am concerned is because I'm pretty sure the babies are inbred (lets just say they are even if there is questions about this) My friend has the dad who I think is actually the brother to the mom. I don't know how to attach pics right now but she is white, black, and brown. She had them this morning, and when I got home everything was fine. She is eating a lot and drinking (which I'm taking as a good thing) and she's being a really good mom. As for the babies, the more colorful baby who is hyper and funny, I'm guessing is the boy. The other guinea pig is kind of quiet and shy like the mother, who must be a girl, she isn't as hyper, but she gets around when she wants. I'm not sure but I really don't think they have any roan on them, just a dark creamy brown. The momma has beautiful blue eyes though, could this affect something? She is too cute and pretty and usually very pretty things have a sad story behind them, but anyways I'm really wanting to know what I should look for in case of health problems, what should I be concerned about,those kinds of things. I really love my momma guinea pig and I know this might shorten her life span, but I'm really hoping to keep her for a long time still. The babies sound just fine when they wheek on the other hand. They are very easy to get along with and am hoping there is chance everything will be okay.

I have a 4 month old boar who is at least 2 generations inbred I took in as a rescue. He has limited vision and balance issues but other than that he is remarkably healthy.

If you don't see birth defects, they'll likely be ok. Most genetic problems in guinea pigs tend to present at birth -- extra toes, blindness, etc.

Any updates?
Welcome!:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.