Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n To all you vegetarians

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've been considering the vegetarian lifestyle for a little while now, but I'm curious to see everyone's personal reasoning for choosing the lifestyle.

I want to hear everyone's experiences :)

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
I tried... I lasted two days. I typically ate a higher fruit percentage. It's was like 75/25 fruit veggie ratio.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
LOL [MENTION=24680]YourSoJelly[/MENTION] I don't think that's very healthy LOL

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Deffinately not! :D I am a failed vegetarian. I had a T-bone steak and bacon after those two days... In one meal. I have been trying to eat healthier veggies though.

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
Deffinately not! :D I am a failed vegetarian. I had a T-bone steak and bacon after those two days... In one meal. I have been trying to eat healthier veggies though.
HAHAHAHAHA! That would so be me if I tried. I like steak and bacon too much lol

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
I turned vegetarian when I was 12..I just started making myself sick when thinking of the animal I was eating...how it was someones mother, father, sister or brother...how they were once alive and were killed with no hope of getting away, or how they'd just been created to be put in a burger....etc
No one liked that I wanted to become vegetarian...but I love animals and just put myself in their place and it saddened me.

I hadn't watched this till last year..so after I become vegetarian but this video would be sure to help you...
(broken link removed)

(But it is very real and graphic..the cows with their necks cut hanging down bleeding and still alive..)

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
I totally believe I could do vegetarian if I wasn't married to a meat and potatoes guy and raised a son in his likeness. LOL It's just too much trouble to cook their food and then cook myself something else, so I gave up!

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Not a vegetarian but trying to go paleo. Not so great yet. The wife is vegan but only because she is allergic to animal protein.

MrsSuzy

Cavy Slave
A bit like [MENTION=23045]RodentCuddles[/MENTION] here in terms of reasoning but it wasn't plain sailing. No chance of becoming veggie when still a teen, mum wouldn't allow. I went veggie as soon as I could and lasted 2 years. I found out that to be a happy vegetarian I need to learn how to cook and I didn't do it then. If you're a veggie and don't cook properly, options are limited, in my opinion.

I recently went veggie again and it's alright. I spend my time finding foods I like and learning how to cook dishes I like :).

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
I've been a vegetarian for almost ten years now. A lot of meat eaters tend to think that a vegetarian lifestyle means that you have to eat the same boring foods, which is very incorrect, there are tons of delicious vegetarian recipes out there.
Another thing I get asked a lot is "How do you live without bacon!?" or, "How do you live without chicken!?". After being a vegetarian for a while it's like a wake up call, you will see meat as it truly is, the death of an innocent animal.
There are also a ton of non-vegetarian foods lurking in seemingly everyday foods, the main things to avoid are: Gelatine (Found in jellies and gel-type foods), Vitamin B12 (Usually extracted from an animal, found in butters and margarines), carmine (Found in candies and red food colourings) and lard.
Good luck on going vegetarian!

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
a vegetarian lifestyle is something i probably will never do, i love meats too much. however if you feel the need to have less guilt on animals becoming food, you could slowly cut down your meat intake? i think it's much better than becoming an instant vegetarian and you might do a full switch eventually :)

here in norway, the veggie varieties arent so wide. in asia it's more common to see vegetarian restaurants, eateries and a LARGE variety of yummy greens! look around your area to see what interests you, just remember you need to find a good nutritionally-varied diet of veggies :D

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone who responded. Another thing I wanted to ask, how do you find something to eat when you're eating at a restaurant? What do you look for on a menu, being vegetarian?

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
my brother in law is a vegetarian, and whenever he goes to a restaurant he simply orders a dish and tell them he doesn't want meat in it! most often he orders a pizza and requests certain toppings that he likes :)

for family gatherings, he brings his own veggie burgers/sausages :)

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I became a vegetarian about a year and a half ago and it was because of my piggies! I really bothered me that people eat guinea pigs and then wham out of nowhere I realized I was being a hypocrite. I asked myself why is one animals life ok to take yet not another? I read up on it and decided that I just didn't want to take an animals life just to satiate my taste buds. I live with a meat eater but he now tries to only cook meat when I'm not home because the smell turns my stomach. He has cut back to eating meat only 3 times a week now(no I didn't try to change him:p). Sometimes he just adds meat to his portion of the meal that I cooked. I try to always check out menus online before going out to eat. I think the hardest part is going to other peoples houses or parties and people try to get you to eat something that's not vegetarian. I had a person hand me a plate of food and say "Don't worry I picked all the meat out for you!":melodrama My Dad, who is a hunter, goes out of his way to ensure there are plenty of options for me and makes sure I know what dishes are hiding animal products in it at family gatherings.:love:

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave
im a vegetarin, i jest decide this is me and it not hard i tired to eat a piece a bacon i found it disgusting. I cant eat meat while there millions of animals being a abused for it. I believe in Huna and that we all have a animal side, that all human could once communicate with animals. i refuse to eat soy since ive heard it cause negetive health effects. Also my sisters and boyfriend are vegans.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
For me, giving up almost all meat at 3 was a no-brainer. I didn't like the taste of most meat, and I quickly got sick of the ones I did like. When I turned 6, I was down to only eating bacon, and when I got to hold a piglet in school and put two and two together, it was an easy decision: no more bacon. For me, I don't miss it at all and the smell of it grosses me out.

When I go to restaraunts, I immediatley look for pasta dishes (I'm mmore of a pasta-terian) and look for key words, like chicken, or beef, and sometimes I see if something can be ordered without meat.

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
I became a vegetarian simply because I cannot stand the thought of eating an innocent animal that was bred solely for human consumption, or any animal at all. The thought of it makes me feel physically ill. Like [MENTION=19120]Hhbean[/MENTION] , I felt it was totally hypocritical to be disgusted by the consumption of one species and not others.
For example, during the horsemeat scandal here in the UK, so many people were like 'Eww, horsemeat! Why would you eat that? Gross!' but then the same people don't think twice about eating a piece of beef, or pork, or chicken.

I tried just cutting down my meat intake at first, but it really made no difference to the way I felt. In the end I stopped eating meat entirely because I got sick of the taste of it. Now the sight, taste and smell are completely repulsive. When I eat out, I choose pasta, or any tasty-looking vegetarian options there might be. At home, I eat a lot of 'fake' meat, like Quorn. Delicious, and guilt-free!

Little One

Cavy Slave
I never really liked meat as a child but I grew up in a meat and potatos home, and there was no way my parents were gonna let me be a vegetarian. After I got married and moved out, it started to make me sick (literally) whenever I ate meat. So that was the end. I do not miss meat at all. For the first year I used a lot of soy products to help me subsitute my meals, but now I've learned how to cook different veggie meals for myself. Too much soy isn't really good for you either.

My hubby was a straight forward meat and potatos man, but he's starting to wean a little bit. I usually try to make sure he has a meat portion, although for the last few months he's been very happy with just a regular veggie meal. I call him a "flexitarian" lol

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I've been working toward going vegetarian for a few months now. I'd say at least 80 percent of my meals are vegetarian. It's definitely because of the horrors of factory farming. I would never, ever wear fur, but isn't eating meat just as bad? It's a challenge because, being of Eastern European descent, I was raised on things like blood sausage and hackepeter (raw ground beef). Luckily there are so many meat substitutes now that can be worked into a variety of recipes, so I don't miss the meat too much. I probably eat meat maybe one or two days a week now.

Although I'm not vegan, I've switched pretty much completely to almond milk. It's delicious. I don't worry about eggs because there are true free range sources around here.

im on My Fitness Pal, and I find it helps a lot to log my food there, both for calorie tracking and to see my vegetarian progress.

CookiesMom

Cavy Slave
I am 43, and have been a vegetarian since I was 17. I go back and forth between being a vegetarian and a vegan. I love it, and would never consider eating any sort of meat. I stopped red meat first. I never cared for it anyway. Then, after about a year, I stopped chicken. I never cared for fish, so that was no problem. I have never gone back, or regretted it. I raised my son (now 18) to eat how he chose. When he was with me, as a young child, he ate veg. but with my mother, or whatever, he ate what he wanted. He officially chose to become a vegetarian when he was in 2nd grade, and stuck with it until he was 17. He started eating meat, only locally raised and grass fed organic stuff. Now he has decided to be vegan.
I originally chose because I saw no point, loved animals, and never cared for meat. I now thrive to have a healthy and sustainable diet. i eat mostly fruits and veggies, and buy local and organic whenever possible. I can about factory farming, the effects on the environment, our health, as well as the care of the animals suffering in these conditions.
-Ellie T.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.