Thanks
    Thanks
    318 Rec'd/234 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quoted
    243 Post(s)

Question New piggy chews on grids.....

I'm sure that there are tons of threads like this one, sorry!......... When I went to get them from his old owner I noticed a whole bunch of his grids were really chewed (2x7, btw). They were mainly on the lower base of the cage, so I thought that that had passed so I didn't ask her about it. He mainly does it when I am in the room or when I have another piggy out for floor time (twice a day while I sweep up, all of my boys love floor time) but I have heard him chewing away at them when I am not in there. If I go over to his cage and give him some attention for a second, he stops. Then 5 minutes later, he's at it again. He has plenty of chew toys and hay to munch on. I really think he just wants to get of out the cage to say hi to me. their cage grids are very chewed up and I no this isn't good for him to chew on. Would putting the corro walls higher work or maybe plexiglass? I've heard of using bitter apple, even vinegar but I'm not sure.. A few days ago I was considering trying Wrigley and his brother with Guinea because Wrigley seemed like he wanted to say hi to Guinea. After seeing Wrigley's reaction during his floor time through Guinea's cage grids this will never happen. He is such a sweet boy when it comes to me and his brother; I've never gotten so many piggy kisses in my life!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Melissa123's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    318 Rec'd/234 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quoted
    243 Post(s)

Re: New piggy chews on grids.....

Haven't gotten any replies yet I think I might just go with the taller corroplast walls.

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/21 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

Taller coroplast sounds good. Or, try to entertain your pigs with more toys. Or, you could use bitter apple spray for small animals.

Here, this may help: Guinea Pig Behaviour

Or this:Guinea Pig Behaviour | Guinea Pig Manual

Good luck!

4. "Thank you, CallieLovesPigs, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    114 Rec'd/88 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

I think you don't want to put taller Coroplast all the way around. It hinders the ventilation too much. Especially not plexiglass, that would be even worse. I was looking at the GuineaPigCages website to get some advice on making a C&C this summer, and it said to add six inches all the way around for walls, but one--one--could be a twelve for the back wall, because twelve all the way around would really mess with ventilation. It's like keeping you pig in an open-topped tank. However, I do not know just how much taller you are planning to make it...
    Like @CallieLovesPigs has stated, the bitter apple spray would most likely work.

Thanks
    Thanks
    318 Rec'd/234 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quoted
    243 Post(s)

I will definitely try the bitter apple but he is pretty excessive about it and I know he has been doing this for a long time. I might have to do taller walls on the 2 sides he chews on, the other 2 he doesn't touch. I don't like that idea, but I don't want him to break his teeth.

Thanks
    Thanks
    318 Rec'd/234 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quoted
    243 Post(s)

Well, I spoke to his old owner.. She said he rarely did that at her house.. I am 99% sure he did, since the grids came pre chewed. I will change a few things around in their cage to see if that helps.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/57 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

My suggestions for chewers are:
    1) At least for now, just dump hay in the cage, if you don't already.
    2) Throw in some apple branches if you have any...or buy them from a pet store
    3) Buy willow huts, tunnels, etc.

I have found that if I do these things when I get a chewer, eventually the chewing subsides and then I can wean them off the willow stuff as that makes a mess.

9. "Thank you, cfoster1966, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    318 Rec'd/234 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quoted
    243 Post(s)

I just ordered a bunch of apple sticks from Amazon, hoping they get here soon! He has a willow ball in his cage at the moment, it is chewed up though, so it's time to replace it. I have fiddle sticks that I am going to put in his cage, too. My boys love the willow balls too much to take away. Thanks for the ideas!

Thanks
    Thanks
    115 Rec'd/78 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Does he have a friend in his cage?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    433 Rec'd/282 Posts
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Quoted
    400 Post(s)

Ah, Felix is an avid grid destroyer too. I found one thing that makes a difference is if I have a blanket marked by Izzy over the bunk beds. I'm not sure if it bugs him or what be he will chew and chew and chew. I also covered with a towel the small section he was destroying. It helped for a while, then he moved onto a new spot. But I think you could cover with a sheet or something, where he chews? That was it's only a small part and you get better ventilation than a 4mm thick wall of plastic.

13. "Thank you, madelineelaine, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Agrimony's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    208 Rec'd/157 Posts
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

My boys chew the grids no matter what I have done to try and prevent it. It's pretty annoying. I'd much rather them wheek then chew!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

You'd probably still have plenty of ventilation in a 2x7 with taller coroplast sides.

16. "Thank you, pinky, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    318 Rec'd/234 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quoted
    243 Post(s)

Thanks all! @skinnypigs, he does have a buddy with him. I adopted them last week, so they are still new here. Just trying to find out what works well for them No matter how many chew toys I have in their cage, he still likes to munch on those girds when I come in the room or when the other boys get near him. I have 3 cages in the same room.. they are not connected, just right beside each other. I broke down and bought another sheet of coro and made them a new 3x5 cage with much taller walls. They are 11 inches! Much taller than what I would have liked to go, but at least I don't have to worry about him breaking his teeth. Maybe one day I can start making them shorter but I'll let him get adjusted first. Plus side of all of this is he is chewing on the appropriate toys now

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

Is it okay to use bitter apple spray used for dogs? It won't make them sick?

User Tag List