Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Broken both front tooth at the gums. Help!

Justina Jank

Cavy Slave
I left my guinea pigs at my boyfriends place. And yesterday he decided to put both of them at a table while tidying up. One of them suddenly ran, fell from the table, hit the chair and fell down. Horrible :'((( I can't believe it.

He looked alright yesterday night. However, as both of the guinea pigs are kept together I am not sure whether he is eating well. Today my biggest fears came true. I checked him early morning, his teeth looked ok. But in the evening both of his front teeth were moving :(( I think they are broken at the gums.The cage looked as if one of them ate food (still that's my assumption, I am not 100% sure), and the cucumber was draged all over the place. I think the poor little one tried eating it, but did not manage. And his attempts ended in further breaking the teeth.

I separated both guinea pigs. To see if the one with the broken teeth is eating. When I tried feeding him rockets 15 min ago, he did eat. Still I cant stop worrying about him.

What should I do? Should I clean his mouth with Saline solution? Will he survive? Both broken teeth are still in place, but moving as if they could fall out any time.

PLease help!

Amalee

Cavy Slave
Please go to a vet. Anything you try to do may hurt him worse. Also, if my boyfriend did that to my animals, his ass would be gone before I could make a forum post about it! That's for damn sure.

Justina Jank

Cavy Slave
I know! I am very angry at him as well. Would you put a toddler on a wardrobe? No! So how about NEVER putting guinea pigs on such high places as tables? Terrible :((

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd take him to the vet to get the broken ones removed. Guinea pig teeth grow in a big hurry, so it shouldn't be long before he's eating on his own. But until then, without his front teeth, he's probably going to have problems picking up his food, and he'll definitely have problems with both of them broken but still in his mouth. You may need to cut everything in matchstick-sized pieces and put them in his mouth to make sure he eats. It may be a good idea to also pull the ends of the stems of the hay out so he can easily get them in his mouth.

I wouldn't separate them. You may need to hold the pig with the broken teeth to feed him, but the longer you leave them apart, the more difficulty you'll have putting them back together. Also, having a buddy around often tempts a pig to eat more, so he may actually get more food if he's in his normal cage.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
I say make him pay for the vet visit and any medical assistance the guinea pig will need. That is the least he could do if you plan on keeping him (the BF - my patience doesn't run that deep, personally.)

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You really need to go to your cavy savvy vet to make sure everything is healthy with him...Their teeth are open rooted, so once they fall out they will grow back. My sister's piggy broke her 2 front teeth about 2 weeks ago and they have already grown back (she did take her to get vet checked). We are not sure what happened but everything healed fine. She didn't eat very well so I gave my sister Critical Care and baby food to give to her. That helped her a lot while she was not able to chew very well. Please take your pig to the vet, just to make sure everything looks good. Each case like this is different, and not every piggy heals on their own. Better to be safe, than sorry.

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
@Amalee , watch the cursing, there are kids on this forum. and i do believe its against forum rolls.

@Justina Jank , take the pig to a exotic vet. He is probably is ALOT of pain. Take him to a vet tho, and get professional help from someone who knows what there doing. Just because hes heating doesn't mean hes out of the woods, there is always the possibility of infections.

Also, I would never leave your pigs alone with your BF again.. and id go over piggie handling 101 with him. You never leave a small animal unsupervised/out of your reach, on a table.. I dont even put mine on table's/counters because of something like this.

Justina Jank

Cavy Slave
Do the teeth really have to fall out first in order to regrow?

I mean do I need to take them out at the vets? I thought, they will naturally fall by themselves as they are growing all the time.

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
@Justina Jank, yes. you need to take him to a vet.
If your kid fell and broke a tooth would you take them to a dentist? I would. Same apply s with animals. He needs to be checked out by a cavy savy vet.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Do the teeth really have to fall out first in order to regrow?

I mean do I need to take them out at the vets? I thought, they will naturally fall by themselves as they are growing all the time.
If it is loose, it will fall out. Yes, they are open rooted but your piggy does need to be seen by the cavy vet just to make sure it's nothing more serious. Piggies go downhill fast, so it doesn't matter if he is eating at the moment. This requires a vet visit.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
@Amalee , watch the cursing, there are kids on this forum. and i do believe its against forum rolls.
If my cursing were against the rules, those words would be censored.
Other parents' children are no reason for me to refrain from expressing myself.
Other parents' children are not my responsibility.

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
A few of my boys have broken/lost teeth before from chewing on their cage bars, and they all grew back no problem. Because it was from a fall from a high place I personally would go to a vet because something else could be wrong. They could also remove the loose teeth without hurting them more.

The teeth should grow back pretty quickly though. If it you notcie weight loss from not being able to eat well I'd syringe feed a little but if the eating is the same don't worry. My boys all ate fine through their tooth loss and they grew back so fast.

Good luck!

Justina Jank

Cavy Slave
I am taking him to a vet the first thing tomorrow morning. As today due to Sunday pricing it is 5 times more expensive to have him checked. He is eating well and behaves as usual. I clean his mouth with saline solution. However, there starts to be a bad smell from his mouth. Is it already an infection?? :///

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I am taking him to a vet the first thing tomorrow morning. As today due to Sunday pricing it is 5 times more expensive to have him checked. He is eating well and behaves as usual. I clean his mouth with saline solution. However, there starts to be a bad smell from his mouth. Is it already an infection?? :///
The smell in his mouth isn't a good thing.. Possibly an infection starting, maybe there is food stuck somewhere? Did you ask your vet about the mouth rinse you are using? It may be doing more harm than good.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave

@nibbler100 , please allow the moderators to address any issues rather than trying to address it yourself. If you think a post is in volation of the rules, click that handy little "Report" button on the post itself. Thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.