Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Buying a scale to weigh my guinea pig

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I'm looking for recommendations for good scales so I can start weighing my piggies. What scale do you use? How much did it cost? What should I look for? Also, how much weight loss or gain is considered normal in a day/week? How much weight loss means you have a sick piggy? Thanks!! - Helena

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I found this blog very helpful. (broken link removed)

ChelleBelle

Cavy Slave
Any kitchen scale would work. I got mine off of ebay for about $12.

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
Hmm... this got me thinking, would it be better to have a digital scale? The one I have right now is not digital and not very accurate... thinking about getting a new one.

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
If you have a digital just always keep something you have a definite weight of to put on the scale first. I nearly had heart failure when all 7 of my pigs dropped around 140g in a week each. Turns out the scale battery was low!

RoxMad

Cavy Slave
I bought the "weight watchers" digital scale-it's a little small for my girls, but they can fit on it. I also use it for my sister's chin and our rabbit-we just put a bowl on it, zero the scale, and use that. You could also use that for the guinea pigs. I am teaching mine to hop on the scale themselves, which would make weighing less stressful and more fun for them! Here's a video of Kona learning to master the scale:

RandomCavy

Cavy Slave
I bought the "weight watchers" digital scale-it's a little small for my girls, but they can fit on it. I also use it for my sister's chin and our rabbit-we just put a bowl on it, zero the scale, and use that. You could also use that for the guinea pigs. I am teaching mine to hop on the scale themselves, which would make weighing less stressful and more fun for them! Here's a video of Kona learning to master the scale:

Love the idea! I'll have to try that :)

RoxMad

Cavy Slave
Training is great fun for my girls, and having them participate in their own healthcare makes our lives easier! Let me know if you would like any help getting started :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.