Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stomach is tight and is swollen; possible bloat?!

Cavy Caged
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/22 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

Re: Stomach is tight and is swollen; possible bloat?!

Lol wish I had your vet

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

Ascites is a gastroenterological term for an accumulation of fluid in the peritoneal cavity and is rarely caused by a heart pathology (3%). In humans, the etiology of ascites is most often due to liver pathology such as cirrhosis. And, yes, you can actually hear the fluid slosh in the abdomen. Abdominocentesis is often the first line of treatment. Did your vet have the fluid she withdrew analyzed for a pathology?

I once had a patient with ascites who was an overweight individual with a large abdomen. As he lay on the exam table face up, I could push his abdomen to the right and to the left........and hear the fluid slosh.

Having said this, I admittedly am not an expert in vet medicine. But, many illnesses manifest similarly in humans and animals and it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility to make comparisons.

Sounds like you have a terrific vet! I'm so lucky to have one of those as well, and she is endlessly patient with questions, and has graciously shared a lot of knowledge with me.

3. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Melissa123's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    318 Rec'd/234 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quoted
    243 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuineaLoveer View Post
    Lol wish I had your vet
    If you're not happy with your vet, I would just keep looking. :) Every person should feel comfortable with any vet you take your pets too, same for humans.

Thanks
    Thanks
    134 Rec'd/79 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

@spy9doc, thank you so much for the advice! We don't believe it has to do with the liver. We did a blood test on her when she was right in the middle of the first water bloat, and it showed that all the functions were normal, except the electrolites were off, but the vet felt it was because of the bloat condition/not eating. Also, she has had a full-body CT scan, and again, they didn't see anything looking wrong with the liver.

However, we never tested the fluid that they took out of the stomach (they have only had to do it twice, thankfully), so that's something I will keep in mind. Do you know what kind of test you would run on it?

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by couchon View Post
    Do you know what kind of test you would run on it?
    Again, not my area of expertise, but the fluid withdrawn would be sent for a culture Generally the fluid is cultured for bacteria in the case of ascites (but it could also be examined for viruses, fungus, or cancer cells). When I say "culture", the fluid is placed in a culture medium, often soy broth (or something else that can feed the bacteria, if present) to see if there IS a bug. After a specified period of time, the culture is examined under the microscope to see if anything grew.

If anything actually grew in the culture, the next step would be to determine what antibiotic it is sensitive to. Then treat the bacterial infection with the appropriate antibiotic.

Did this answer your question?

User Tag List