Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Mystery hair loss -- mites?

AlphaLyrae

Cavy Slave
I've had my pigs for a short while and boy are they giving me some grey hairs (but I am sure learning a lot in the process!) A few weeks ago we thought that we were going to lose our boy, Strummy. He had a bad case of diarrhea (to the point where it was foaming out of his butt and consistently leaking). Started dragging his legs and was unable to walk. We treated him with immodium and colloidal silver and he made a complete recovery.

Now, as I am about to clean out the cage, I notice that under his chin on his neck was very bald. All along his belly was patches of thin or missing hair. He was also not fond of me picking him up when normally he's a very calm pig. He even nipped me (though his nips never hurt.. luckily.) But I think that he might be in some discomfort.

I was thinking possibly mites? Stratos (our female) is in the same room but I haven't noticed anything with her skin and fur. Strummy is eating and drinking normally and otherwise his normal self in terms of outwardly behavior.

I am attaching a picture that I could get of his belly. He was not a good patient so I apologize for the blur. Do you think it could be mites? I looked at other pictures of mites on guinea pigs but it doesn't quite seem the same. (Maybe Strummy has an early case??)

Mystery hair loss -- mites?

What do you think? Mites? Something else?

I think it wouldn't hurt to treat for mites, if the skin (it appears to be fine) isn't a weird color, which could mean a bacterial/fungal infection.
Ivermectin in commonly used to treat mites in guinea pigs. It is available OTC and won't hurt your guinea pig if it in fact doesn't have mites. If the symptoms don't go away with that, a vet visit may be in order.

I think it wouldn't hurt to treat for mites, if the skin (it appears to be fine) isn't a weird color, which could mean a bacterial/fungal infection.
Ivermectin in commonly used to treat mites in guinea pigs. It is available OTC and won't hurt your guinea pig if it in fact doesn't have mites. If the symptoms don't go away with that, a vet visit may be in order.

After many bad experiences with vets, I prefer to treat at home and as naturally as possible. Which brand of Ivermectin should be used (if I need to go that route?)

I think pour-on ivermectin is easier to use for people who aren't accustomed to giving it, but you can give the oral kind. The pour-on is available from (broken link removed), along with the syringes needed to measure it. The oral kind can be found at feed stores, but requires a LOT of dilution to be safe for guinea pigs. See https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html and follow the links about the mites and about ivermectin.

I think pour-on ivermectin is easier to use for people who aren't accustomed to giving it, but you can give the oral kind. The pour-on is available from (broken link removed), along with the syringes needed to measure it. The oral kind can be found at feed stores, but requires a LOT of dilution to be safe for guinea pigs. See https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html and follow the links about the mites and about ivermectin.

I know the Tractor Supply store has some pour-on ivermectin, but I worry about the potential additional toxins that may affect my girls who hold them frequently. Does it dry quickly? What is the dilution rules in regards to the TS cattle pour on ivermectin? Thank you for this website. I haven't seen it before and it looks like it may have a lot of useful products for the piggy medicine cabinet. :)

Its best to treat them in the evening when people are off to bed and the piggies will be left untouched. It can take a little while to dry but if a piggie has mites it might be best not to handle them so much as I imagine its quite uncomfortable for them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.