Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Question Flippers are the way to go?

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the fleece flippers Wednesday. I currently just use bath towels, and change them out every 2 days. I would be spending about $175 so need to know if you guys love them. Sweeping vs vacuuming will the fleece get pulled up? My cage is now a 2x8 and 2x2 loft. Thanks for the feedback. I just can't wait!

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner soccerchickgrp5's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    48 Rec'd/38 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

Re: Flippers are the way to go?

just ask @CavySpirit !! I would say yes they are the way to go and are worth every penny!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,440 Rec'd/991 Posts
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Quoted
    697 Post(s)

I have flippers. The fleece doesn't get pulled up because they fit pretty snuggly and any extra on the open end gets tucked under. They are super easy.

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Go with the flippers! Best things ever created for piggies!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner T1ggerPigLuvur's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    151 Rec'd/99 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

I love my fleece flippers. They are the best invention ever. I used bath towels before, just like you, and switching to flippers made cleaning so much easier. They are taut, so when you clean they don't buckle, and they prevent piggies from burrowing. They are also super easy to clean.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

I think the flippers are a very creative invention, and perfect for some people......especially those who don't sew. I prefer to sew my own liners because they function superbly, and I can sew them as needed when I remodel the cage. I enjoy the creative aspect of sewing my own custom liners and they are quite economical as well.

I generally go on a fleece-buying binge on Black Friday when I can score some real bargains. I try to anticipate my needs for the next year, and buy enough to last until the next BF sales. I, like many others here, buy my fleece at JoAnn Fabrics. Over time, I have found that the blizzard fleece is better quality and lasts longer. I made three sets of liners over a year ago and rotate them weekly. They are barely showing signs of wear.

There is no burrowing because the liners have some weight to them. They lie smooth and don't wrinkle or buckle. In my experience, towels are just about the worst fabric to use in the cage because they begin to smell almost immediately. I only use towels for lap time.

Thanks
    Thanks
    51 Rec'd/43 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    I think the flippers are a very creative invention, and perfect for some people......especially those who don't sew. I prefer to sew my own liners because they function superbly, and I can sew them as needed when I remodel the cage. I enjoy the creative aspect of sewing my own custom liners and they are quite economical as well.

I generally go on a fleece-buying binge on Black Friday when I can score some real bargains. I try to anticipate my needs for the next year, and buy enough to last until the next BF sales. I, like many others here, buy my fleece at JoAnn Fabrics. Over time, I have found that the blizzard fleece is better quality and lasts longer. I made three sets of liners over a year ago and rotate them weekly. They are barely showing signs of wear.

There is no burrowing because the liners have some weight to them. They lie smooth and don't wrinkle or buckle. In my experience, towels are just about the worst fabric to use in the cage because they begin to smell almost immediately. I only use towels for lap time.
    Ditto all of this! I sew my own liners and love that I can coordinate everything and truly have something custom that fits our style.

Thanks
    Thanks
    134 Rec'd/79 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

Personally, and this is just a personal preference, I prefer the traditional liners that are all in one piece. Also, I am not a fan of uHaul blankets for myself

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by couchon View Post
    I prefer the traditional liners that are all in one piece
    Can you explain what you mean by this statement? I'm puzzled. The liners that I make ARE all in one piece.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/57 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

@spy9doc, I think @couchon was referring to flippers, not your liners. I also must say that flippers are cool. I actually use them only as pads under my patio and on my "bridge". However, if you can sew a straight line it is super easy to make your own for so much cheaper. They are basically just a pillow case. Cut a piece of coroplast and some u-haul or towel to slide in and you are done.

Thanks
    Thanks
    134 Rec'd/79 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

Sure, I mean I prefer when on liner covers the entire space of my case, rather than the fleece flippers, which I understand are 2x1 pieces, and you would need 4 separate pieces to go in a 2x4.

Thanks
    Thanks
    50 Rec'd/29 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

Another option that has been a hit is this idea by onetwo
    I have gone between just a big sheet of fleece and flippers, I am using the big sheet of fleece right now but I'm going to be switching to flippers once I get some time to sew them. My old flippers were a few inches too short and so they were kind of a failure.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

I was trying to be discrete with my reply. I don't want to disrespect "fleece flippers" because they are sold by the owners of this website. We're lucky to have a place where we can come together and share with other cavy lovers.

Apparently, couchon and I are actually talking about the same thing........just different terminology.

User Tag List